To wet to mow rib cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
After all this rain I decided to smoke some ribs instead of mow.

I purchased some bb's from Sam's last night. When I opened them up this morning I was greeted with the smell of tainted meat.

Rotten egg / Natural gas combo. I washed them off anticipating the smell to go away but it didn't happen. The smell was not as strong but it was still there.

This is the first time I have experienced this that I can think of. I was tempted to go ahead and smoke them since I was running behind but my "spidey senses" were saying otherwise.

I called Sam's and they gave me a no-hassle exchange except for the meat guy, in a round-about way, accussing me of not knowing the difference between tainted and un-tainted meat. But even he was a good sport about the exchange.

The new pack was much better but even it had a very faint smell that seemed to go away when I washed them off. Maybe I am just gunshy now.

On at 11. These pics are two hours into the cook. Wittdog inspired me to not use foil on this cook. I turned and sprayed with apple juice at the two hour mark.

Looks like you are off to a good start.....I would have brought the stinky meat in and asked the guy...are you willing to eat this?
There is cyro stink..and then there is bad meat...you did the right thing.

I would have told the "meat guy" give me one rack and I'll cook them for you, but I have to watch you eat them! :LOL: I always use white vinegar on ribs to loose the cryo stink. No doubt you did the right thing. Have fun. Qing is a hell of alot more fun than cutting grass! :D

Ribs turned out good......Or so the wife said.

I had to make a delivery ( part time-on call job ) and I didn't get to eat any of them hot. The wife said they were good. Daughter #1 said they were salty.

The rub was Famous Daves rib rub. After trying one cold, I agreed with daughter #1.

Daughter #2 had no opinion as her baby dolls had her attention more than my ribs.

Looked good Cliff.
So what did you think of the no foil adventure?
How long did they take?

I had two smaller racks that were probably done at the 3 1/2 mark. One larger rack that could have gone for 4 1/2 hours. They all came off after 4 hours.

No foil works good on bb's. I still think foil is a good thing for spares even though I don't smoke them as often.

BB's are just easier to manage.

I echo what Cliff said about better safe than sorry. I have bought some Tyson products that smelled pretty bad when I opened them and carried them back also.

TRUST YOUR NOSE! IT DOESN'T LIE.

That is a very wise thing you did.

Fresh meat doesn't have a foul odor.

Fresh fish doesn't smell fishy either.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom