To inject or not inject, that is the question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chiles

Senior Cook
For some reason, I have been brought up thinking that injecting is cheating method of getting flavor and moisture. So, with that sort of thinking I have steared clear of using injections or learning more

I'm rethinking this. I have 66lbs of butts in the freezer that I need to make plans for. Maybe some of these have an injection in their future.

How about some opinions? When would you inject and when would you not?

Chiles

From what I have learned in my last couple interviews, many people in comps inject to get the most flavor possible out of the meat for the judges to potentially increase their scores, but don't inject if they are cooking for themselves.

I've injected turkey for frying because turkey stinks. The skin with the rub is the best part, unless you inject.

But anything else? Only in comps.

I do inject most of the time. Many of our cooks have been kind of bad trying this, but sometimes we get a little lucky. One thing ive learned is that if the sauce aint right, the taste can be funky. About 3 weeks ago we did some butts that were fantastic that we injected and a week later I used the same recipe but really put the injection to the pork. Over did it and the meat wasnt as good. There is a fine line but that line is judged by the strength of the sauce. If the sauce taste good to you as you are making it doesnt mean that it will work inside the meat either. Everything has to work together. I can see where injecting could be a good thing to do.

All of this coming from a guy who struggles with pork at comps.

I inject butts with the following sauce named after a moderator at another forum. I do not baste while cooking but do add some sauce and rub when pulling.

Smokin Okie's Pulled Pork Baste & Serving Sauce (makes about 5 cups) 4 cups apple juice
1/2 cup Worcestershire
4 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoon dry mustard
4 tablespoon brown sugar
3 bay leaf
6 cloves of garlic
2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cayenne (I sometimes use Hungarian Paprika)
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (the secret ingredient)

Heat all of the ingredients in a nonreactive pan (the acid in the vinegar will react with some pans be careful) Bring it to a boil, reduce and simmer for 15 min. I make extra and put it in the fridge and it should last for a couple of months. But it's never around that long. When I put some pork in food saver bags, I'll put some of this in there with it -- when I reheat the pork it tastes just like the first time.

Cliff H. said:
Wonder which would hold up the best after being vac packed and frozen for a year or so?

I've never had it last that long. :eek:

Reminds me of the time we were teeing off over a long patch of water and one of the guys suggested using an old ball, I told him I didn't have any, I lost them before they got old.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom