Thursday Chuck Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is the shiney black coating that everyone has on there dome and mid section ?

I had an excessive amount of that, whatever you call it. :LOL:

As already stressed in Larry's posts, lack of air leads to formation of both soot and creosote. Unseasoned wood seems to be the major culprit in the case of creosote (which is what the firemen told me once after I had a chimney fire).

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/chimneyfires said:
Certain conditions encourage the buildup of creosote: restricted air supply, unseasoned wood and cooler-than-normal chimney temperatures are all factors that can accelerate the buildup of creosote on chimney flue walls.

Air supply: The air supply on fireplaces may be restricted by closed glass doors or by failure to open the damper wide enough to move heated smoke up the chimney rapidly (the longer the smoke's "residence time" in the flue, the more likely is it that creosote will form). A wood stove's air supply can be limited by closing down the stove damper or air inlets too soon and too much, and by improperly using the stovepipe damper to restrict air movement.

Burning unseasoned firewood: Because so much energy is used initially just to drive off the water trapped in the cells of the logs - burning green wood keeps the resulting smoke cooler, as it moves through the system, than if dried, seasoned wood is used.

Cool flue temperatures: In the case of wood stoves, fully-packed loads of wood (that give large cool fires and eight or 10 hour burn times) contribute to creosote buildup. Condensation of the unburned by-products of combustion also occurs more rapidly in an exterior chimney, for example, than in a chimney that runs through the center of a house and exposes only the upper reaches of the flue to the elements.

--John 8)

I just found that same article John. It seems more like a combination of 3 things. Wood not season properly, not enough air to burn the fire (bottom vents) and restricting the airflow out (top vent)

wittdog said:
Cliff what kind of wood were you using?

Burning Hickory Dave.

I really think the wood was just getting seasoned good and picked up some moisure sitting out in the garage. It has been real wet here for the last couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom