Thoughts on this advice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Rempe

Web Celeb
Moderator Emeritus
I read a blog from a "pro" who said you should never add smoke to your bbq meat until it reaches 100* internal temp. Doing so at the front of the cook effectively seals off the pores of the meat actually prohibiting it from getting smoke flavor.

Letting it reach 100* allows it to "relax" and get ready to absorb thew smoke...I have my opinion...

FAIL!

Your thoughts?

wittdog said:
I go against the "pro"

I hate to admit it but I'm gonna go along with Witt on this one.
140 is where the smoke ring stops forming

I think he's full of $hit and just yanking your chain Greg. Plus how are you going to get your meat to 100 degree internal without adding smoke unless of course you are cooking with gas or electric?

Kloset BBQR said:
I think he's full of $hit and just yanking your chain Greg. Plus how are you going to get your meat to 100 degree internal without adding smoke unless of course you are cooking with gas or electric?

To be fair...this was on this guy's blog...he didn't tell me this personally. :D

before all you experts came along, folks were smoking
whole hogs over real wood coals for hundreds of years.

That method survived because it worked and it was excellent.

I'm getting tired of the scientific ******** that has come with
bbq competitors trying to find an edge. You don't need no
damn science text book to make good bbq. The recipes and
techniques have been available for hundreds of years.

Greg Rempe said:
I read a blog from a "pro" who said you should never add smoke to your bbq meat until it reaches 100* internal temp. Doing so at the front of the cook effectively seals off the pores of the meat actually prohibiting it from getting smoke flavor.

Letting it reach 100* allows it to "relax" and get ready to absorb thew smoke...I have my opinion...

FAIL!

Your thoughts?

Seeing how meat does not absorb smoke, that makes no sense. I can't believe Steven Raichlen would say such a thing! :LOL:

Captain Morgan said:
before all you experts came along, folks were smoking
whole hogs over real wood coals for hundreds of years.

That method survived because it worked and it was excellent.

I'm getting tired of the scientific ******** that has come with
bbq competitors trying to find an edge. You don't need no
damn science text book to make good bbq. The recipes and
techniques have been available for hundreds of years.

Thank you Captain!!!
:supz:

Guess I'm old fashoined an a bit outa touch with all this new fangled tech stuff. Grandpa done added smoke from the get go an I sure ain't messin with his work!

Allota experts in allota fields what don't know sickem!

Well I am going to say that science (you all may call it BS) has helped me tremendously. My scores certainly prove that. I try to figure out more meat science than anything. I am even going to try to attend a 3 day meat science course in Texas next year because the more I understand the proteins and the denaturing process the better my BBQ gets.

Diva Q said:
Well I am going to say that science (you all may call it BS) has helped me tremendously. My scores certainly prove that. I try to figure out more meat science than anything. I am even going to try to attend a 3 day meat science course in Texas next year because the more I understand the proteins and the denaturing process the better my BBQ gets.

if you go to Texas Tech, skip the brining class!!!

oh, and I agree with Nick, Puff, and Cappy.. Science surely helps, but this theory is for the birds...

and the 140* thingy.. it is only for the formation of the smoker ring, stops at the internal temp.. certainly not the degree point where the meat doesnt keep on taking on smoke..

Chapter 2 of his book will prolly say not to use temp probes or you'll drain all the juice out ...

Chapter 3 might say to only ever BBQ at 225ºF

somewhere around Chapter 6 it will tell you sear steak real good to lock in the juices

Greg Rempe said:
Larry, this was not Steven Raichlen...It can be found here:

http://www.mrbbq.info/blogger/bbq_hottopics.html

Greg, I know.........I was making a funny!

But after reading " So...let the meat warm up to at least 100 degrees F. before you even consider adding smoke to it. Since meat doesn't begin to cook until it reaches 120 degrees, you'll be fine. I've been doing this for over 20 years and I know what I'm talking about. " This in Mr. BBQ's blog, I believe him because he knows what he's talking about, he even said so himself!

wittdog said:
So much for cold smoking...

And eggs! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Hokey, I say.

Science plays a part in the safe handling of protein and the maintenance of the surfaces with which said protein comes in contact.

Anyone can cook without being versed in the 'correct scientific terminology'.

Cooking the same protein over and over again, tweaking spice/wood/temperature, then tasting the protein and providing samples to a select group for their input on taste/texture in comparison to that tasted previously, hones the skill of a cook.

If you find yourself having more time and money than you know what to do with, buy some books and spend time researching them, or pay some (likely self proclaimed) 'learned speaker' to stand and lecture to you.

Best to remember that cooking is cooking and as someone posted earlier, it's all been done one way or another for quite a long period of time! I'd like to wager that there is little to no chance that something new, whether technique or ingredient, will be 'discovered'.

Back
Top Bottom