Thoughts on this advice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have no way of telling just how accurate that theory is as I, like the rest/most of you, put meat on the pit while the meat is close to 40* or so and the pit has heated up to maintain 250 or thereabouts. I did read on Obie Q's website some years ago that TOO MUCH RUB initially blocks much of the seasoning effect from the absolute best seasoning of all, WOOD, and I have to agree with him. I, like him now start with a light coat, barely visible after rubbing, and add more late in the cook if time permits.
dj

I dont need 20 years of experience to tell me that he is wrong-- although its close to that long.

These where put on cold from the fridge...

IMG_0531-R.jpg

...and smoked from the beginning.

Its a ridiculous notion even from a science perspective. As if cold tense muscle fibers would prevent flavor penetration. I guess that means we shouldn't marinade in the fridge. And all that rub we have been putting on... stop that. The meat is too cold to take the flavor and the paste just clogs the pores! :LOL: I mean really... how can someone that professes to be an expert be that obtuse. The experts are here...

I don't compete, but I can cook and I know flavor as well as anyone. So, as y'all said, he would be incorrect.

Something that is obvious to me is that a brisket on the smoker at 40 deg takes less than an hour to be over 100 deg.

Seems like a waste of time to try and shut everything down, take the meat off, put the wood in, fight the temp spike that you are sure to get and get the meat back on just to try and follow this theory.

Meat don't look much different to me after one hour than is does when first put on.

Qjuju said:
I don't compete, but I can cook and I know flavor as well as anyone.

For the most part, you have to know more to cook than to compete . . . unless, of course, you want to keep making the four same things for your thrice daily meals, that is. . . .

MitchSchaft said:
The comment went over my head :(

If it was my comment, I was indicating:

Cooking requires the ability to cook more than pork shoulder, beef brisket, chicken/cornish hens, and pork ribs. Unless of course, all you eat, each and every day for each and every meal is one or a combination of these meats/proteins.

However, in the event that it was not my comment which 'went over your head', I am unable to offer further explanation! LOL

Back
Top Bottom