This Is What Barbecue Means To Me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard this nonsense for years, I have had this converstation with Bob in GA, the tradition they are always speaking of is what they decide tradition is, it's thiers, no other forms of BBQ can be called BBQ. These same folks use spices that would not been used in the beginning. They're willing to use tin roofing to cover the pit and reflect heat, just how much was roofing was there back in the beginning. They will tell you that cooking coals and the tradition start with white settlers back in the Carolinas, so the natives in America who had been living off the land before they arrived did something different. The whole thought process is flawed.
There are tradition in other parts of the country and it's different, so what it still tradition. We have more spices and different cuts of meat to play with, so what.

We make our own tradition, building on what came before us. Is it wrong or just different? Anyone that wants to live in the past, go for it. Cooking has always been an evolution, the top chefs in the world are always building on the past.
Jim

jminion said:
I have heard this nonsense for years, I have had this converstation with Bob in GA, the tradition they are always speaking of is what they decide tradition is, it's thiers, no other forms of BBQ can be called BBQ. These same folks use spices that would not been used in the beginning. They're willing to use tin roofing to cover the pit and reflect heat, just how much was roofing was there back in the beginning. They will tell you that cooking coals and the tradition start with white settlers back in the Carolinas, so the natives in America who had been living off the land before they arrived did something different. The whole thought process is flawed.
There are tradition in other parts of the country and it's different, so what it still tradition. We have more spices and different cuts of meat to play with, so what.

We make our own tradition, building on what came before us. Is it wrong or just different? Anyone that wants to live in the past, go for it. Cooking has always been an evolution, the top chefs in the world are always building on the past.
Jim

And this is exactly why I have switched to cooking my Q in a microwave for now on! I have introduced wood chips wrapped in saran wrap to my new 1200 watt GE Turntable Microwave along with a 6lb boston butt. Perfect moist, tender, traditional (hardwood chips) BBQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom