thermometers - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2006, 05:37 PM   #1
Official BBQ Central Mark

thermometers

Is there a digital/wireless thermometer that everyone is using that I should know about. I know the Guru is top of the line but how about some I have seen like Maverick, Weber, and Cusinart. Is there one that anyone would never use again from experience?

Old 04-26-2006, 05:49 PM   #2
Master of All

I have a Maverick ET-73 ... It's ok.

There's been some debate about the range, some people complained of it not having the advertised range, some found that some units were missing a internal antenna, sent them back to Maverick, they put one in, then the people tried them again, and said it didn't make any difference. Plus there were people (even on the Maverick side) that said the internal was redundant... based on the design.

So what's that say....Uhhhh... I dunno.

I say.... The Maverick is a decent wireless thermo for the price, with desirable features ( pit, meat, set points, alarms), 50~75 range in good conditions, nice battery life.

I like it, and never sent mine back.... even though it was missing the "said" ...."necessary" ....internal antennae. :dunno: :dunno:

Weber Smokey Joe Gold ?

Weber Grill Decency Agent # KTL9352
ScottyDaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:16 PM   #3

I have 2 ET-73's and love them. The only problem I've had is when there are 6 of them working within 10ft of eachother, and then they start reading other transmitters readings. Other than that I'd highly recommend getting one, I haven't had one problem with either one and when I need a 3rd thermometer, I'll be buying another one.
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:28 PM   #4

Thanks for the input guys, I think I will purchas a couple of Mavericks. Then I will have a digital camera and a set of thermometers. Now all I need is a WSM. I have some catching up to do.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:29 PM   #5

Nu-Temp 701's are good too.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:31 PM   #6

I have the nu temps and I don't like them at all. Very eratic readings. I had the et 73 but gave it to my neice and her husband when I bought the nu temps, boy was that a mistake.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:38 PM   #7

nwmud, Maverick offers high temp probes as an upgrade (purchase sep). BUt almost none of them out there will/should take direct flame.

I have a Maverick ET-73 and the Nu-Temp units and find myself getting out the Mavs more often. But Larry is correct, in MB last weekend we had several of them almost on top of each other and they would swap off on which pit they were monitoring. Not a big deal if you check the transmitter readout before changing damper settings (and it didn't happen often). The Nu-temp didn't have that prob... but it was the only Nu-temp around. Probably for a lot of miles.

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finney
nwmud, Maverick offers high temp probes as an upgrade (purchase sep). BUt almost none of them out there will/should take direct flame.

I have a Maverick ET-73 and the Nu-Temp units and find myself getting out the Mavs more often. But Larry is correct, in MB last weekend we had several of them almost on top of each other and they would swap off on which pit they were monitoring. Not a big deal if you check the transmitter readout before changing damper settings (and it didn't happen often). The Nu-temp didn't have that prob... but it was the only Nu-temp around. Probably for a lot of miles.
Yeah, the next closest one was probably in NY!
Old 04-26-2006, 07:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Prochilo
Quote:

:taunt: Mine are over 3 years old and never had a problem with them.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:51 PM   #10

[quote=The Joker]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Nick Prochilo":3omeyiyn
Quote:

:taunt: Mine are over 3 years old and never had a problem with them. [/quote:3omeyiyn]
I like them too. I just wish they had the upper and lower pit temp alarm like the Mav. Yes I know I can do it using two probes, but that isn't the same. I had Nu-Temp talked into manufacturing one with a H/L alarm and then everyone started buying the current one so they didn't see the need. #-o Damn you guys. :-X

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote