Thermapen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
Bob I agree, they work great! However buy a back-up battery. I've had minute for about 5 months and the battery has already died. I thought it would last long since I only used it about 10 times.

Wife got me one last Christmas and I love it =D>
I'm still on the batteries that it came with.

I used mine to help get the Christmas beef tenderloin off at the perfect temperature. I love that tool. I'm still on the original battery after about a year.

Griff

Big Bubba...that is "Link-ese" ...what he is trying to say is that he is looking forward to playing with his new toy. He hopes to cook something new to give it a try... :!:

Big Bubba said:
Hi Greg,

Oh, thanks for the clarification. I thought it was something like that.

You know those Thermapens are so accurate you can just measure the temp of the air. Comes in handy when the wife says "It's freezing in here". I just go get my Thermapen, pop up the probe and say "no it's not, it's 68 degrees in here". Then after I get "the look" :) I go to the thermastat and turn it up to 72. I always loose that one.

BB

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Women. Can't live with em.
That's all.

I think he either needs a new keyboard
or he's typing with the monitor off! :grin:

Glad to hear you'll enjoy your new gifts.
That thermo should you make your great briskets
even more consistantly.

-YB

I think a thermopen is the best, most important tool for cooking BBQ. I've had one for a few years without problems. In the fall I bought another through the BGE Forum and saved a bunch of money on it. They send in group orders from time to time and get a large discount.

Rich Decker

Rich Decker said:
I think a thermopen is the best, most important tool for cooking BBQ.

Rich Decker

Why would a thermometer be most important?? :-s

My pit, some wood, a pair of heavy gloves, a chimney, a good stick lighter, adult beverages. IMHO all of these rate above thermometers.

Good Q!

Jack

Jack W. said:
[quote="Rich Decker":1zemzxot]I think a thermopen is the best, most important tool for cooking BBQ.

Rich Decker

Why would a thermometer be most important?? :-s

My pit, some wood, a pair of heavy gloves, a chimney, a good stick lighter, adult beverages. IMHO all of these rate above thermometers.

Good Q!

Jack[/quote:1zemzxot]

Internal temperature of meat, in my opinion, is all about texture. You don't eat or are judged on gloves,chimney or the other stuff you listed Thermopen can read the temperature almost instantly with minimum heat loss.

Rich Decker

Rich
I know where you are coming from, I call it anal Q(setting myself on that one), but it is about trying to hit perfection. Not only is a Therapen fast but very accuriate. You get a lot of feedback in 4 seconds.
Jim

That's interesting. You spend 14 - 16 hours cooking something to make a decision on texture in 4 seconds. Maybe thats why I never win. I gotta get me a thermopen. :idea: :D

Good Q!

Jack

Jack W. said:
That's interesting. You spend 14 - 16 hours cooking something to make a decision on texture in 4 seconds. Maybe thats why I never win. I gotta get me a thermopen. :idea: :D

Good Q!

Jack

If it was that easy. :!:
That would be an over statement but you do get a lot of info in 4 seconds, internal and an idea on resistance with that poke.

Jim

I agree Jim.

I'm just being a little "jerky" on the issue.

If I have 1 I have 10 really good thermometers. I use a polder type thermometer to let me know how the cook is comming along and when I get to the stall. IMHO the worst thing that can happen during a comp cook is that you loose forward energy. I rely more on the resistance test than an actual temperature to tell when a piece is "done". Meat changes too much piece to piece to let a specific temperature dictate when I pull or change something in the pit.

Good Q!

Jack

Keeping a cook moving forward is just that. If you are not paying attention to your pit temps then you will not keep the meat temps moving up toward your goal. If you start moving backward you will need more energy from your heat source to start moving forward again. This costs time and moisture. When you hit the "stall" (usually around 160) the meat will plateau and hang at that temp for a while. Sometimes temps will drop because the fat and connective tissue are breaking down and causing your meat to cool a little. Nothing to be worried about, some pit masters will turn up the heat a little to move through the stall. I like to let the fat render, less to worry about when I pull the pork. There is no avoiding the stall on properly BBQed meats. Crack a cold one and wait it out. The length of time is specific to the meat you have. Some go fast, some don't.

The resisistance test is a feel you get when you put a probe or fork into a piece of meat that is done. If a fork slides into a piece of meat with no reisistance, It's probably done. You can also push on a brisket or butt and tell by the wobble if its done. Some pit dudes shake the bone of a boston butt. But the most important thing to remember is...IT"S DONE, WHEN IT"S DONE. A specific time or temperature is chasing the proverbial tail.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask for more clarification. There is more than one way to skin this cat. Start a thread and ask the question. I'm sure the others will be more than happy to relay their experiences.

Good Q!

Jack

Back
Top Bottom