Thermapen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The final decision I use in cooking meat is what I call the "poke test".

I don't use Polder type thermometers. I must have gone through 20 or so, of every kind, over the years and decided I liked better pit thermometers. I have 2 custom made Ashcroft's on my pit and they are often calibrated. I have them positioned so they read 250* pointing straight up so at a glance I know the pit temperature.

I use the Thermopen to monitor the meat as it runs trough the plateau. At around 155*-160* the meat will sit as the collagen, fat and convictive tissue breaks down. At this time I like to move the meat to the coolest part of the pit to prolong the breaking down of the meat. A mistake some make is they get nervous and try to rush the meat through the plateau, I try to run through the plateau as long as possible maintaining proper pit heat.I've heard some cooks talk that the meat may drop down in internal temperature at this time because the break down carries some of the fat that carries some heat out of the meat.That may have been what happened to you.As the meat cooks to around 180* (this will take a few hours) the poke test comes into play. If you have broken down the meat slowly it may finish up at a lower temperature then your used to. What I look for is the bone to slip easily out of the meat without the meat turning to mush. You can also tell by the feel of the probe going in to the meat. This is the feel you need for brisket. The meat is done when it's done regardless of the temperature.

I've had better results when the meat is done at a lower internal temperature, it seems juicier.

Rich

Rich Decker said:
A mistake some make is they get nervous and try to rush the meat through the plateau, I try to run through the plateau as long as possible maintaining proper pit heat.

Rich

This may not be a "mistake". I learned to cook whole hogs from an "old timer". His version was to crank up the temp and get through the stall until you reached 185. At that point you cut back your pit temp to as close to 190 as you could and let the pork rest for as long as you could to render out the fat. He made an awesome product. I've used this technique very successfully.

Good Q!

Jack

What Jack and Rich said. :!: I like to cook butts at around 215 to 220º. I find this allows the fat to render and conective tissue to break down at a slower rate and I never have to remove fat pockets when I pull them. It makes for a longer cook but I'm never in a hurry to cook butts anyway ~ I just plan accordingly. Like Rich said, sometimes when you cook at a lower temp, the butt won't reach your target temp of 195 or 200º. Here's a graph of a cook I did when I received my 1st order of Texas BBQ Rub. It took 23 hours at 220º and never got above 185º. Near the end of the cook, the fuel started running out so I add 15 or so lit briquettes and bumped the pit temp up some in an attempt to get the butt temp up to my 195º target temp but it wasn't to be on this one. After resting in a cooler for a couple hours, pulled it ~ It was very moist with no fat to remove. :(

Jack W. said:
This may not be a "mistake". I learned to cook whole hogs from an "old timer". His version was to crank up the temp and get through the stall until you reached 185. At that point you cut back your pit temp to as close to 190 as you could and let the pork rest for as long as you could to render out the fat. He made an awesome product. I've used this technique very successfully.

Good Q!

There's a big difference between a "old Timer" whole hog cooker and new cook asking questions. I disagree, I don't think you can render out fat while resting at 190*. You may be draining fat that didn't render as you cook through the plateau or fat that is trapped in the cavity.

I think I've had some success cooking my method (except coming dead ass last at the 2003 Jack Daniels). There's more then one way to cook a butt. The successful Oklahoma cooks cook hot and fast.

Good luck to you next season,

Rich

Jack

Rich Decker said:
[quote="Jack W.":2oz53b23]

Good Q!

There's a big difference between a "old Timer" whole hog cooker and new cook asking questions. I disagree, I don't think you can render out fat while resting at 190*. You may be draining fat that didn't render as you cook through the plateau or fat that is trapped in the cavity.

I think I've had some success cooking my method (except coming dead ass last at the 2003 Jack Daniels). There's more then one way to cook a butt. The successful Oklahoma cooks cook hot and fast.

Good luck to you next season,

Rich

Jack
[/quote:2oz53b23]

Don't miss understand me Rich. I've had a tremendous amout of success cooking with your method...and my method, and pretty much everyone on this boards and every other board I'm a member of methods. When I worked with the "old timer" I WAS the new cook asking questions. I'm glad he was patient and giving enough to teach me his way. It's about the tradition and the method to me. I don't necessarily measure success with a trophy or a call to the stage. That's about ego. Success is about dinner and smiles from my guests.

Thanks for the warm wishes. I'm sure we will need all the help we can get. :D

Good Q!

Jack

You guys are over analyzing the whole BBQ process. If you knew anything about making good Q you would know you first must brine, then you foil, then you just sit back until the pop up timer pops and tells you when it's done! Duhh! 8-[

Griff said:
Joker

How did you do that cool graph?

Griff
I set one of my laptops up with a QuickCam Pro, set it’s software up to take sequential pictures every 5 minutes, pointed the QuickCam out the window at a clock, 2 Nu-Temps and the BBQ Guru, input the results into Excel and graphed it up. Only did that one time due to the amount of time involved in data entry.

Larry Wolfe said:
You guys are over analyzing the whole BBQ process. If you knew anything about making good Q you would know you first must brine, then you foil, then you just sit back until the pop up timer pops and tells you when it's done! Duhh! 8-[

I agree Larry, though it's a fine line winning contests. You need every point you can get and cooking competitions is what BBQ is all about for me. I cater a little on the side just to fuel my addiction. I didn't want to and still may not but I'm probably going to cook Salisbury MD again. I have a party to go to in Philly the week before and it's about 550-600 miles from here but I'm ready to cook.

I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your mother, my prayers are with you and yours.

Rich

Jack W. said:
The resisistance test is a feel you get when you put a probe or fork into a piece of meat that is done. If a fork slides into a piece of meat with no reisistance, It's probably done. You can also push on a brisket or butt and tell by the wobble if its done. Some pit dudes shake the bone of a boston butt. But the most important thing to remember is...IT"S DONE, WHEN IT"S DONE. A specific time or temperature is chasing the proverbial tail.

Jack

Jack
I agree with what you say but get there differently in the fact I really don't care where the meat temp is until it gets closer to end. I keep an eye on pit temps to keep it in the range. I don't find Polder type therms reliable so I use dial therms on my pits and a Thermapen to check internals near the end and for feel. Part of my technique on butts and briskets is to finish the tenderizing off the pit so knowing internal is very important at the end of the cook. When gets right down to it we end up in the same spot.

I love to compete, is winning about ego? Yes to a degree. I have learned the tradition, being able to tell if the pit is in the zone by laying your hand on a pit, by the feel of resistance in a cut is knowledge you need, but for me it's about about building on the tradition using todays pits, fuels and food science to keep moving forward making American BBQ a living, evolving thing.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom