The Start of My Vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TimBear

Sous Chef
On July 3rd I started a 4 week vacation by renting a beach house for 10 days in Ventura, California (about 40 minutes from where we live). The house is located right on the sand (with a sea-wall barrier and staircase right to the sand) at Faria Beach. I started off by smoking up some Chuck Short Ribs the first morning.

I mixed up a batch of dry-rub and used almond wood for the smoke. I had a little trouble with the temp staying at 225* because of the shore breeze that was constant all-day; so the temp kept wanting to hit the 250-275* mark. I smoked them for about 5 hours then moved them to the oven (set at 200*) until we were ready to eat.

They came out fantastic! The left overs were used for sandwiches the next couple of days. I also did two briskets and a slab of bacon I dry cured with Maple sugar and salt (the pics did not come out; I think because I forgot to take them thanks to my good buddy "Coors"). We did have help eating all the meat; Toby Keil and his family and some other friends came up for the weekend.

Looks like a great place to vacation and also by the looks of it you guys didn't go hungry. Well done TB!!!!

I don't know what I'm more jealous of.... those ribs or your vacation. Good work on both!

Major meaty bones, TB! They look fantastic! Not a bad view either, just a hair better than w.KS. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom