The longest cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
Ok, Today at about 2pm I put this 13 pound on the 22 WSM.
I filled the ring with KF and then added the ring from my 18 WSM to the top of it and filled it too. (There is roughly 4 to 6 inches between the coals and the sand filled pan) Then I started the Minion Method. I dont want to have to get up tonight (although I probly will to check temps) and add coals cause were goin downtown for drinks! Grandma took the kids Yahoo!
I know its a bit overkill but I wanted to know how long the burn will be and if it will really work. So far shes holdin steady at 225* with 2 pieces of Cherry wood.
One major concern is will the ash from the top ring start to put out the coals in the lower half ? I hope not but we'll find out. I plan on bein home in time to save the brisket if its not workin out. Heres some pics I took with the wifes phone. Not real pretty but pics none the less!

img_197138_0_da7b0a61e2c79c3488fdf0fb10682309.jpg

Ring on Ring Action....
img_197138_1_88bb5c859421648ae962444463c219c2.jpg

Rubbed lightly with Klose brisket rub and will finish with a version of Dr. BBQ's Sauce.

All my neighbors have been hittin me up lately to smoke meat for them. Its awesome. They buy the meat, charcoal and Ketchup, mustard & I get the experience! Life is better. :)

If anyone has ever tried this let me know if there are any general hang up's. Pleeeeaaaasssssse! Thanks!

Can't help ya from experience, but it looks like it aughta work!!
Enjoy yur night out, the brisket will take care of itself....I think...
dj

that's a new one, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't
work. Don't see any reason why the additional ring is needed
either, but I think it will work. The reason wsm's work so well
with the Minion Method is airflow. I don't see reason why what
you did will have a negative effect.

I know this is gonna sound wrong, but I gotta say it! You're wasting your money and charcoal and worrying too much!!!! You shouldn't even need a full ring of charcoal on a standard 18" WSM much less a 22" WSM for a 13lb brisket. That brisket should take you roughly 15 hours or maybe a bit longer, which 3/4 ring on a 18" WSM would be more than enough.

In any case, that's a good looking piece of meat and it will turn out great!!! Just don't over think your cooks so much!!!! :LOL:

One more thing, that brisket would taste much much better with Wolfe Rub Bold on it!!! Dave Klose is a pit maker, not a rub maker!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Larry Wolfe said:
I know this is gonna sound wrong, but I gotta say it! You're wasting your money and charcoal and worrying too much!!!! You shouldn't even need a full ring of charcoal on a standard 18" WSM much less a 22" WSM for a 13lb brisket. That brisket should take you roughly 15 hours or maybe a bit longer, which 3/4 ring on a 18" WSM would be more than enough.

In any case, that's a good looking piece of meat and it will turn out great!!! Just don't over think your cooks so much!!!! :LOL:

One more thing, that brisket would taste much much better with Wolfe Rub Bold on it!!! Dave Klose is a pit maker, not a rub maker!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I hear ya Larry. My neighbor bought the charcoal and I was curious to see how long it would burn + I thought it would take alot longer to cook. When we got home at 4am it was right at 198* and ready to pull. Coals will probly hold another 2 or 3 hours is my guess. Its 10:20am now. Ill get pics as soon as I reheat and make it look tasty! Oh and next time ill use WRO. ;) :D

Thanks for the advice too. ;)

Heres a crappy phone picture I took for what its worth. I chopped the point and sliced the flat. Pic quality is horrible. Pic= cook! :D

img_197258_0_44becc5caf76fedcddad43ffe16d183b.jpg

Just to update if anyone cares: The burn lasted from 2pm yesterday till 5pm today. I chased it between 225* & 250* till 6pm , thats when the sun went down. I was shooting for 225* the whole time. At 5pm today it dropped (kind of quick) to 150 and so on and so on.

Back
Top Bottom