The Biscuit Test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

The Biscuit test. What you do is get a few tubes of cheap biscuits from the store, Get a fire going in the belly of the beast, and when you think you have it stable and the temp. you like (I go 275F-300) put the biscuits all over the cooking surface.(mine are usually 18 to 20 inches from the coals) Let them go for 10 min. then check them. No peeking with the lid. Till the 10 min. is up. That way you can tell if there are (and there will be) any hot spots. It's a great tool to tune a off set pit.

I heard that a couple of years ago, I think...Might have been on the Klose forum and it was to aid in tuning an offset. That is a great idea!

Chris Finney said:
Michelob said:
Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant! 8) 8) Mic

You're making me need to replenish my Guinness supply. :-D

It is a good way to check for hot spots... too bad Cappie ran him off. :(

Don't blame the capt. This board is no place for softees! Just think what would have happened if Larry responded to him! :D :D :grin: :grin:

Yeah, well, I've gotten to know Chris a little over the last several days...Too bad you guys won't! :roll:

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Chris Finney":28akmd28]
Michelob said:
Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant! 8) 8) Mic

You're making me need to replenish my Guinness supply. :-D

It is a good way to check for hot spots... too bad Cappie ran him off. :(

Don't blame the capt. This board is no place for softees! Just think what would have happened if Larry responded to him! :D :D :grin: :grin:[/quote:28akmd28]

I offered Cappy help and he wanted to fight his own battles! And I must say he did a marvelous job and has made me proud!

By the way I tried the biscuit method with popcorn kernels, but it didn't work?? :D I think I found out why though...............I used a gas pit and am not a pit master (because LC said so) and I cut the head off the corn! We all know it's not real BBQ'd corn if you cut the head off. If only if I would have stuck with the "traditional" way of Q'ing I would have made perfect popcorn! Oh well! :smt102 :smt102 :smt102 :smt102 :smt102 :smt102 :smt102 :smt102 :smt102 :smt102 :smt102 :smt102 :smt102

Nick Prochilo said:
Larry, did you put the corn on top of the biscuit or visa versa?

No Nick, I eliminated the biscuits and just tried to use the corn kernels. The kept falling through the grates and immediately incinerated. I call that the "Kernel Test", if the kernel burns that means you have fire. :smt102

Back
Top Bottom