The bird is on!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
Put the bird on around 7:30 this morning, we're planning on eating around 2pm so I hope my timing is correct! Should be done around 1pm.

Larry, you are the king of birds. Love the color you get out of them. YES, I have turkey envey. Keep up the pics dude.

Bill The Grill Guy said:
Larry, you are the king of birds. Love the color you get out of them. YES, I have turkey envey. Keep up the pics dude.

Awww shucks Bill, thank you! Come on up and have some dinner with me!!

Nick Prochilo said:
What, your not deep frying it :?: :LOL: What size is that bird?

About 13.5lbs I think. Shoot I can't remember now. Not a huge one, cause we have a Honey Baked ham as well.

Not deep frying, maybe for New Years though. My family will not let me cook our Thanksgiving turkey anyother way than brined and smoked. I wanted to do the injection again, but was voted against. In a house full of women, I must obey!

Well finally got mine on shortly before 10 AM. First major catastrophe started after I had the bird all bird all trussed up on the spit rod for the rotess and was making final calculations when I did a test run wit the bird on it and found out the dang motor would not spin it. Not sure the motor has got weak over the years getting hit by too much heat from the fire or whutever but it rated to spin up to 45 lbs I think. So...had to do a last miniute change of plans to smoking it. Got it currently chuckling away (face down of course) in the upright over Kingsford..pee can and plum..also got the optional water plan in place. It was clipping along at around 300 last I checked.

bigwheel

Looking good I'm going to do a turkey this year we are going to the inlaws. :evil: I'm going to try and somke one on new years.

bigwheel said:
Well finally got mine on shortly before 10 AM. First major catastrophe started after I had the bird all bird all trussed up on the spit rod for the rotess and was making final calculations when I did a test run wit the bird on it and found out the dang motor would not spin it. Not sure the motor has got weak over the years getting hit by too much heat from the fire or whutever but it rated to spin up to 45 lbs I think. So...had to do a last miniute change of plans to smoking it. Got it currently chuckling away (face down of course) in the upright over Kingsford..pee can and plum..also got the optional water plan in place. It was clipping along at around 300 last I checked.

bigwheel

Your not deep frying :?:

Nopers..no frying for me. I cannot afford no devorcees:) This turkey is being a pain in the booty. Last time I check one thigh was at 180 and the other was at 160. Guess he musta been a left footed turkey or something.

bigwheel

bigwheel

Nick Prochilo said:
bigwheel said:

bigwheel

Your not deep frying :?:

The bird was done within an hour of of the time we wanted to eat so it worked out great! Turned out very good, good flavor and nice and moist.

Bigwheel, these pic's are just for you. The first pic is the breast temp and the second is the thigh temp as soon as the turkey was pulled off the cooker.

Hey Wolf Boy...do look like a good plan to me. As long as you can keep them temps on each part in the ballpark I give you a tip of the hat. Now mine is all gone...they say it was the Grand Prize winner. Best of the best etc. Now I was not impressed with Altons brine. Imparted some good flavor but really jacked with the skin. I gonna have to teach that boy how to brine a turkey one of these days. Know whut I mean?

bigwheel

Dang Larry, that is another great looking bird. You are going to have to teach me how to use a WSM. Hoping to get one for Christmas this year.

Back
Top Bottom