Thanksgiving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
Don't oversmoke it...poultry take smoke very easily, use very little wood and then only use milder woods.

If you insist on using hickory, use it sparingly. Cherry, peach, or for something a little exotic Guava wood from Hawaii gives poultry a nice flavor.

Smoke the turkey on the WSM with 1/2 ring of Kingsford and 3-4 medium hickory chunks. Keep your dome temp between 250-260 and pull the turkey off when the breast hits 163*. The thighs at that point should be around 175*, let cool then slice. Smoked turkey is so much better if you let it sit in the fridge overnight before slicing.

Larry Wolfe said:
Smoke the turkey on the WSM with 1/2 ring of Kingsford and 3-4 medium hickory chunks. Keep your dome temp between 250-260 and pull the turkey off when the breast hits 163*. The thighs at that point should be around 175*, let cool then slice. Smoked turkey is so much better if you let it sit in the fridge overnight before slicing.

What is your re-heat advice Larry ?

Cliff H. said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":221d6a1h]Smoke the turkey on the WSM with 1/2 ring of Kingsford and 3-4 medium hickory chunks. Keep your dome temp between 250-260 and pull the turkey off when the breast hits 163*. The thighs at that point should be around 175*, let cool then slice. Smoked turkey is so much better if you let it sit in the fridge overnight before slicing.

What is your re-heat advice Larry ?[/quote:221d6a1h]

If whole, wrap in foil or oven bag and reheat in a 325 oven until warmed through to 160*. My preference is to take the bird out of the fridge and slice cold. Or if you plan to carve your bird ahead of time, then remove the breast lobes, wings, thighs, legs and vacuum seal then reheat in boiling water and then slice the pieces into serving sizes.

Diva Q said:
brine it first

Only brine "Fresh Turkeys", do not brine Kosher or "Self Basting" turkeys. Kosher turkeys are already brined and the self basting turkeys are injected with broth which essentially does the same thing as brining.

However, the best turkey you will ever make is a fresh bird you have brined yourself and added your own flavors to. The others are good, but your self brined bird will be great.

Going to my daughters for thanksgiving...Should be interesting..lol

Ill hold all other comments till after the dinner there..We are bringing a turkey..

john pen said:
Going to my daughters for thanksgiving...Should be interesting..lol

Ill hold all other comments till after the dinner there..We are bringing a turkey..
If you are going to your daughters..why are you bringing the bird?
Hope she has beer....

Unity said:
WashPost Food section today has a piece about spatchcocking a turkey.

--John 8)
(There's a link to a video, mostly about presentation. You have to watch an ad first. :evil: )

Been thinking about attempting that John, might be a good chance one getting done for Bill TGG, Gary and Brian on Sunday when they come over for the Skins game. Speaking of Sunday, you're more than welcome to join us John! Let me know if you're interested.

brian j said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":2l0d2byt]
Unity said:
WashPost Food section today has a piece about spatchcocking a turkey.

--John 8)
(There's a link to a video, mostly about presentation. You have to watch an ad first. :evil: )

Been thinking about attempting that John, might be a good chance one getting done for Bill TGG, Gary and Brian on Sunday when they come over for the Skins game. Speaking of Sunday, you're more than welcome to join us John! Let me know if you're interested.
i just spatchcocked a 8 lb'er on monday. the hardest part is getting the breast bone out since it is quite a bit bigger than a chicken breast bone.[/quote:2l0d2byt]

No pics, no cook! :shock:

brian j said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":2ssq1c07]No pics, no cook! :shock:
what ever. :roll: if you like i can post a pic of the half eaten carcass. :D[/quote:2ssq1c07]

You know the rules!! :LOL:

brian j said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":10nlfu45]No pics, no cook! :shock:
what ever. :roll: if you like i can post a pic of the half eaten carcass. :D[/quote:10nlfu45]

Would it be a new picture or a picture from a previous cook? :shock:

I am having trouble finding a turkey that doesn't have something injected in it already.

Wasn't it 3% or less that would pass for brinable ?

There was a time when I spent big bucks on a turkey and spent lots of time brining, injecting and all that jazz. BUT like Bruce said "People just dump gravy all over it" So now it's what ever is on sale or the cheapest. :roll:

Cliff H. said:
I am having trouble finding a turkey that doesn't have something injected in it already.

Wasn't it 3% or less that would pass for brinable ?

Look by the chicken Cliff, there should be fresh turkeys there. At least they are around here.

Back
Top Bottom