Tenderizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
There was a fellow selling his bbq rubs at the county fair this year. I stepped up and quized him a bit. I tasted his rib rub which was to the salty side of the spectrum but it seemed ok.

He started explaning the advantages of his rub having meat tenderizers in it and how it didn't need to be left on the raw meat for more than a few hours.

I tried to understand the rational of meat tenderizers in low and slow smoked bbq. All the recipes that I have seen have the basic spices + some secret spices up to and including msg.

Is a tenderizer a good thing for bbq ?

What is a natural meat tenderizer ?

And don't say BEER. :LOL:

Cliff H. said:
Is a tenderizer a good thing for bbq ?

What is a natural meat tenderizer ?

Tenderizers are not good for BBQ in my opinion, they will give you mushy meat. He's probably using Accent in his rubs which contain Papain (a plant enzyme) and MSG. It will only work on the surface of the meat, not throughout the entire roast.

Pineapple juice is another natural tenderizer. It contains an enzyme called "bromelin" that will break down the meat.

But any meat tenderizer natural or not will give you mushy meat if left on too long.

Interesting, because I just bought my first tri-tip and it has some
kind of fruit tenderizer in there. It's pre-marinaded.

Captain Morgan said:
Interesting, because I just bought my first tri-tip and it has some
kind of fruit tenderizer in there. It's pre-marinaded.
Cappy you better duck behind that sign when Helen see's that...
Cliff doesn't the whole BBQ process act as a meat tenderizer ;)

Will agree with to some extent on the meat tenderizers not having much place in bbq. Now I dont think it hurt a big piece of meat like a brisket..but it will flat disassemble a delicate chicken. Would not want it on ribs either. Now as far as Accent..the last time I read the ingredient list I dont think I saw Papain or other tenderizer on the lable. Now aint claiming they aint got a version which contain some nowadays..just aint never seen it. It generally regarded as near 100% MSG which aint a tenderizer but rather a flavor enhancer which in my view is an indispensible ingredient in the bbq and sausage arsenal. Even them who claim to be highly allergic to it eat it just fine as long as they dont know its in there:) I mean a billion chinamen cant be wrong huh?

bigwheel

[/quote]

Tenderizers are not good for BBQ in my opinion, they will give you mushy meat. He's probably using Accent in his rubs which contain Papain (a plant enzyme) and MSG. It will only work on the surface of the meat, not throughout the entire roast.

Pineapple juice is another natural tenderizer. It contains an enzyme called "bromelin" that will break down the meat.

But any meat tenderizer natural or not will give you mushy meat if left on too long.[/quote]

I was playing around with pineapple juice once and oh my goodness you should see what fresh pineapple juice will do to a whole packer in a matter of hours. Like a gross science experiment. The entire brisket literally turned to raw brisket soup the color of grey vomit.

Turned me off of tenderizers forever.

Diva Q said:
I was playing around with pineapple juice once and oh my goodness you should see what fresh pineapple juice will do to a whole packer in a matter of hours. Like a gross science experiment. The entire brisket literally turned to raw brisket soup the color of grey vomit.

Turned me off of tenderizers forever.

That's going to stick in my brain for a few days. [smilie=rlp_smilie_207.gif]

bigwheel said:
Will agree with to some extent on the meat tenderizers not having much place in bbq. Now I dont think it hurt a big piece of meat like a brisket..but it will flat disassemble a delicate chicken. Would not want it on ribs either. Now as far as Accent..the last time I read the ingredient list I dont think I saw Papain or other tenderizer on the lable. Now aint claiming they aint got a version which contain some nowadays..just aint never seen it. It generally regarded as near 100% MSG which aint a tenderizer but rather a flavor enhancer which in my view is an indispensible ingredient in the bbq and sausage arsenal. Even them who claim to be highly allergic to it eat it just fine as long as they dont know its in there:) I mean a billion chinamen cant be wrong huh?

bigwheel

Papain
The plant enzyme papain is commonly used to tenderize meat. It's an ingredient in the commercial flavor enhancer "Accent©". Papain is refined from sap taken from the stem of papaya fruit. The enzyme breaks down the structure of the meat, thereby making it more tender. The problem with papain based tenderizers is that it works only on the surface of the meat. And if left on too long, it can create an undesirable texture.

I guess that my thing is that I'm a purist at heart when it comes to food. Not a taste thing so much as a health thing. Just don't know want to put anyhting that didn't come from the earth in my body unless I absolutely have to, such as medicine.

Think that the best way to tenderize meat is with natural tenderizers like citris juice, vinegar and the such.

Tim

Papain & bromelin powder is used in Asian stir fry beef & pork, Its real tricky to use & is a very fast tenderizer. You can buy it in capsule's at health food stores in the digestive section. I bought a bottle & tried it on some lean tough cuts of beef, it works fast so the meat has to be sliced stir fry style. If the cuts of meat are too thick the outside will be mushy before the inside is tender. The powder has no flavor either so seasoning is needed

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
I saw a guy at a comp one time beat the snot out of a brisket with a huge cast iron skillet. Asked him if he felt better when he got done, he said yea. :LOL:

Wow, didn't know you are allowed to beat your meat at contests. Was this a Florida event? :LOL:

Well I made a special trip to the grocery store to read the label on the Accent and it sure dont mention Papain being in there. It say it's MSG. Now have run into a few items which contain the stuff but fail to mention it on the ingredient list. Adam's Beef Fajita Seasoning is one that springs immediately to mind. Big Dave got to using it on his chicken and it created a highly good flavor..but invariably caused the skin to bust. He finally called the factory and got an admission there was some papain in there. Not sure how they get by without mentioning that fact.

bigwheel

Larry Wolfe said:
bigwheel said:

bigwheel

Papain
The plant enzyme papain is commonly used to tenderize meat. It's an ingredient in the commercial flavor enhancer "Accent©". Papain is refined from sap taken from the stem of papaya fruit. The enzyme breaks down the structure of the meat, thereby making it more tender. The problem with papain based tenderizers is that it works only on the surface of the meat. And if left on too long, it can create an undesirable texture.

We have papaya trees and it works too good. Makes mush out of the meat. I don't use tenderizers..

I take papaya enzymes tablets. Very good digestive aid after a heavy meal. You cant eat a big old greasy chicken fried steak and chew a few of those enzymes (taste like candy) and you will have nary a burp. Think fresh papayas bound to work the same way if you have em for dessert.

bigwheel

surfinsapo said:
We have papaya trees and it works too good. Makes mush out of the meat. I don't use tenderizers..

Well dont think everybody's thinking about it. Maybe the Wolfe Boy:) Sure could be a poskibility.

bigwheel

K Kruger said:
Well I made a special trip to the grocery store to read the label on the Accent and it sure dont mention Papain being in there
I believe everyone is thinking of Adolph's Meat Tenderizer.

That was my first thought when the feller told me his rub had tenderizer in it.

My wife recently made mango and papaya habanero sauces. Both are quite good when allowed to set a bit in the fridge. The papaya is great as it really helps out afterwards with regard to feeling so full.

Back
Top Bottom