Telling when Baby Back Ribs are done

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cocophone

Assistant Cook
I cooked 3 racks of baby back ribs on my weber kettle.

Temps averaged 225 to 250
Time cooking was about 4.5 to 5 hours
No foil

Toothpick when through the rib

But there was no bones sticking out at the ends of the ribs.

I've read that when ribs are done the meat shrinks back slightly from the ends and leave a little bit of bones showing.

The ribs seemed done to me.

Cocophone said:
I cooked 3 racks of baby back ribs on my weber kettle.

Temps averaged 225 to 250
Time cooking was about 4.5 to 5 hours
No foil

Toothpick when through the rib

But there was no bones sticking out at the ends of the ribs.

I've read that when ribs are done the meat shrinks back slightly from the ends and leave a little bit of bones showing.

The ribs seemed done to me.

Ribs are done when they are 'tender'. The meat pulling back from the bone is 'usually' a sign, but doesn't mean they're done. Lower grill temps will give you less pull back than higher temps will. Regardless of whether the meat pulled back or not, if they were tender they were done.

Are ribs undercooked if some rib meat is still sticking to the bone when you are eating them.

Or do I need to use foil to make sure the rib meat comes cleanly off the bones?

erik said:
Cocophone said:
Are ribs undercooked if some rib meat is still sticking to the bone when you are eating them.

Or do I need to use foil to make sure the rib meat comes cleanly off the bones?
In my opinion a properly cooked rib should have a little tug, and not fall off the bone.
I agree.
CP do you know about the "bend"? ;)

Puff said:

When you pick them up by the end they are suppose to bend in the middle when done.

UPS is suppose to deliver my WSM on Monday. I'll be trying it out with a Pork Butt next Friday night. I've been using my kettle until now for pork butts. They turn out good, but with a kettle there is too much time spent adding charcoal.

Cocophone said:
Puff said:

When you pick them up by the end they are suppose to bend in the middle when done.

UPS is suppose to deliver my WSM on Monday. I'll be trying it out with a Pork Butt next Friday night. I've been using my kettle until now for pork butts. They turn out good, but with a kettle there is too much time spent adding charcoal.
Pick them up in the middle. ;)
Congrats on the WSM and a big 'ol welcome to the board! 8)

JTsBBQ said:
Great recipes! I rub brown sugar on the ends of the bones where the cut was made. I really grind it in to the bone ends. During the cook the sugar carmelizes and you get a nice bone pull. I do the same on the shoulder and hams of my hogs. Not sure why this works a guy showed me this trick and it does work. Foiling helps too but that can be a bad word depending on who you talk to.

Tim

JT's BBQ

Tim, you're saying you grind brown sugar on the ends of the bones
or the meat?

Back
Top Bottom