Tell me what you think I want feedback POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waymore3

Assistant Cook
I have been Smoking on my BBQ for years and have gotten a ton go compliments so I decided to do a How to video like I am sure most of you have. I would love to hear what you think and let me know of any improvement you might suggest. <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iEHrwxdX91g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

* also this is my first time putting up the link so I don't know if I did it right*

Re: Tell me what you think I want feedback POSITIVE OR NEGAT

Maybe this will work better-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEHrwxdX91g

Bro, your fire was way too hot man, try using less charcoal, and have some unlite inside your fire box. You would give the smoke more time to penetrate the meat. Even though you are using an offset smoker, if you have high enough temperatures, it is still basically grilling. I mean 45 minutes to smoke a pork tenderloin. Hell I did 3 the other day and it took me almost 4 hours at 225.

Here are a few things I would try doing.

1. Start out by taking a half of a chimney and place that in the lower part of your fire box, and make a hole in the middle to use the minion method.
2. Light about 20, to 30 briquets, until they are going hot.
3. as soon as those are going place them in the hole of the unlite briquets, this will cause them to burn slowly from the inside out, your fire should go for about 4 hours.
4. Place your grill grate above the fire, and place your pellets, or wood on top of the grate. If you need a smaller grate for the bottom of your fire box hit me up I think I have one that will fit in your set up.
5. If you use charcoal fluid, you will still taste it mildly, unless you fire has burned for a while, and very hot. You can achieve the same type of fire by using a teaspoon of canola, vegetable, or any other type of oil, and it is cheaper. Using the oil you will not get that orangey taste the charcoal fluid leaves.
6. I would really consider changing over to real wood, you said you were in Oregon. You should have a good selection of fruit, and nut trees in that part of the country. Apple, Plum, Pear, Cherry(fruit), Maple, Hazel, Chestnut(nut trees) All of those would give a great flavor to really any food. I, myself would lean more toward the fruit trees.
7. Less smoke bro. when smoking you should only have a really light blue grey color smoke. Like in this picture.....
smoker.jpg

Really other than the things I have talked about, you should be good. Remember Smoking is Low, and Slow, not Hot and Fast. The main thing I see is that you have to get better control over your heat, and time. You will notice once you get a little better heat control you will use less fuel too. You will also notice a better flavor, and a deeper smoke ring in your foods.

Just have to ask, is this your YouTube channel?

I really hope all this helps.

Max

Well thanks I was just doing some research and found the Minion method. My pellets are real wood they are just sawdust mashed into pellets not like treater pellets. Your ideas sound great now i need to buy more meat. Yes thats my Youtube Channel feel free to subscribe Im doing a video on jerky. See jerky is my forte and what got me smoking meat. But jerky is at the lower temps I was worried that pork taking Four hours to cook would allow it to go bad. Am I just being over cautious? I can make another grill for my side box but thanks for the offer. Everything you said makes sense. I feel like a fool now.

Max said:
Bro, your fire was way too hot man, try using less charcoal, and have some unlite inside your fire box. You would give the smoke more time to penetrate the meat. Even though you are using an offset smoker, if you have high enough temperatures, it is still basically grilling. I mean 45 minutes to smoke a pork tenderloin. Hell I did 3 the other day and it took me almost 4 hours at 225.

Max, his temperatures and time for the tenderloin were perfect. His finished product was on point, moist, nice color on the outside and a nice warm pink center. Are you sure you cooked pork 'tenderloin' and not pork 'loin' for 4 hours at 225º? I have cooked enough BBQ over the years and there is no benefit to cooking BBQ at lower temperatures for a longer time other than time to drink more beer, which is perfectly fine with me! I have cooked BBQ on many different cookers in various temperatures and now I exclusively cook in the 275º-350º range. Temperatures in my opinion are irrelevant when 'BBQ'ing'. Sure, many people will disagree and swear that lower and slower is better and I will value their opinion, but will disagree.

Here are a few things I would try doing.

1. Start out by taking a half of a chimney and place that in the lower part of your fire box, and make a hole in the middle to use the minion method. This is a proven method and works if you want to cook in lower temperatures or for longer amounts of time.
2. Light about 20, to 30 briquets, until they are going hot.
3. as soon as those are going place them in the hole of the unlite briquets, this will cause them to burn slowly from the inside out, your fire should go for about 4 hours. Less or longer, depending on many variables. But true.
4. Place your grill grate above the fire, and place your pellets, or wood on top of the grate. If you need a smaller grate for the bottom of your fire box hit me up I think I have one that will fit in your set up.

5. If you use charcoal fluid, you will still taste it mildly, unless you fire has burned for a while, and very hot. You can achieve the same type of fire by using a teaspoon of canola, vegetable, or any other type of oil, and it is cheaper. Using the oil you will not get that orangey taste the charcoal fluid leaves. Totally agree! Get rid of the fluid period, dry paper works fine or Max's advice is perfect. But even better, ditch the chimney. Your torch is the best lighter source you have. I haven't used a chimney in years, I used my hose torch or a torch like yours. Make a pile of coals, hit 4-5 spots with the torch for 10 seconds each, 15 minutes later, I'm cooking.

6. I would really consider changing over to real wood, you said you were in Oregon. You should have a good selection of fruit, and nut trees in that part of the country. Apple, Plum, Pear, Cherry(fruit), Maple, Hazel, Chestnut(nut trees) All of those would give a great flavor to really any food. I, myself would lean more toward the fruit trees. I agree with Max here too, mainly because of the cooker you are using. The pellets will work in your cooker, but they burn too fast and are made more for gass grills/smokers or ceramic cookers, something with little oxygen. Take Max's advice and give some wood chunks a try, it will also give you a longer burn time as well as better flavor and a longer cleaner smoke.

7. Less smoke bro. when smoking you should only have a really light blue grey color smoke. Like in this picture.....
I agree if using 'wood'......even though the pellets are pressed wood, they are not made to 'burn' in that box, they are made more for smoldering in lower oxygen cookers as stated before. The amount of smoke you had was a lot, but I think okay because the pellets were simply burning up over the hot bed of coals. Whereas a chunk or small limb (not chips) will burn slowly and give you the nice sweet smoke flavor you want from wood as well as the nice clean burning 'blue' smoke.

Really other than the things I have talked about, you should be good. Remember Smoking is Low, and Slow, not Hot and Fast. The main thing I see is that you have to get better control over your heat, and time. You will notice once you get a little better heat control you will use less fuel too. You will also notice a better flavor, and a deeper smoke ring in your foods. I agree, about smoking with 'low and slow', but smoking and BBQ'ing are not the same. I know this is a slippery slope, but it all depends on what you want in the end. With pork shoulder, brisket, ribs, pork loin, etc., you can acheive good finishes smoking in the 200º-250º range and take twice as long. OR....you can bump the temps up in the 275º-350º and BBQ/Roast your meats with the same or better finished product. It's all a matter of opinion, like Ford vs. Chevy, both will get you to where you want to go. Smoke rings to me are a beautiful thing, but highly overrated and does nothing for the meat rather than appeal to the eyes.Just have to ask, is this your YouTube channel?

I really hope all this helps.

Max

NOTE: Iodine does not prevent salt from caking as the video states. Iodine is added to salt as a nutrient and to prevent 'goiter'. Calcium silicate is what prevents salt from caking.

Good video, I liked it and the meat looked perfect!! Good job!

Thanks I will take all your opinions and discover what works for me. The pellets are designed for an electric smoker specifically the bug chief for which I use for jerky. I thought there was no such thing as too much smoke.

waymore3 said:
Thanks I will take all your opinions and discover what works for me. The pellets are designed for an electric smoker specifically the bug chief for which I use for jerky. I thought there was no such thing as too much smoke.

There is NOT such thing as too much smoke.....if there were 'Stick Burner's' wouldn't exist. You can 'oversmoke' by an 'incomplete burn' on your wood. If your wood is smoldering, it's not efficiently burning, therefore you would oversmoke your food. Hope this makes sense.

Pellets are not only for pellet burners exclusively anymore, keyword 'anymore'. See here, they can pretty much be used on any kind of cooker, with mixed results depending on the burn.

Thanks there Larry..... By the way, it was Tenderloin, and I was smoking it. Did not really take notice to the BBQ until you noted it. But yes for BBQ'ing I totally agree with the 250 - 350 statement, and it is a matter of what the person really wants.

The only real reason I do long smokes, is to get out of the house, and to have some quality time with friends, or take some time to do something in the garage. You know GUY STUFF..... :P

Max said:
Thanks there Larry..... By the way, it was Tenderloin, and I was smoking it. Did not really take notice to the BBQ until you noted it. But yes for BBQ'ing I totally agree with the 250 - 350 statement, and it is a matter of what the person really wants.

The only real reason I do long smokes, is to get out of the house, and to have some quality time with friends, or take some time to do something in the garage. You know GUY STUFF..... :P

I totally agree about getting out of the house......but I am recently divorced, which was my main reason to stay out of the house. Now I have a girlfriend and I enjoy being in the house...... NOTE to self.....don't get married! :LOL:

Larry Wolfe said:
Max said:

I totally agree about getting out of the house......but I am recently divorced, which was my main reason to stay out of the house. Now I have a girlfriend and I enjoy being in the house...... NOTE to self.....don't get married! :LOL:

I should make this a stickie for future reference! :LOL:

So My Timeline for BBQing is Correct? Because I wasn't "Smoking"?

waymore3 said:
So My Timeline for BBQing is Correct? Because I wasn't "Smoking"?

You never stated what temperatures you were cooking in. But, from the timeframe you stated and the finished meat I would guess you were cooking in the 350º range (which is BBQ'ing) for the tenderloins to be done in 45 minutes with indirect heat. This IMO is the optimum way to cook tht cut. Only think I may do differently would be to sear at the end. Again, IMO 'tenderloins' are a cut I would NOT want to smoke, but rather grill directly or BBQ.

Back
Top Bottom