Superbowl test cook...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john pen

Master Chef
Tried three new recipes as a test run for Sunday...2 were a big hit, 1, a swing and a miss...

The first hit was a chicken breast chunked, then wrapped in bacon, then dreged in a brown sugar / chipolte pepper mix, then baked (on game day they would be smoked)..I served them with a blue cheese / apricot dipping sauce..They were awesome and disappeared quickly !!!

Next was Itialan Sausage, sliced and browned drizzeled with a sweet dipping sauce....It was alright...my youngest daughter loved it, but the general concensious was "its ok"....definetly no "wow" factor..

Last, I did the tomatoe pie ala wboggs. The only two things I changed was I used a red onion and added a few strips of cooked crumbled bacon. It came fantastic and met with rave reviews. The testers couldn't say enough about it...Even my oldest daughter who's not crazy about tomatos was devouring it !

So, the chicken things (credit to Paula Dean) and the tomatoe pie (thanks wboggs) have been added to Sunays menu. I still am looking for 1 more idea to add...the search continues..

Try this one:

2 Pks ball park beef franks (cut into small bite size pieces)
1 jar of Welch’s grape jelly
1 jar of BBQ sauce of your liking.

In a small pan, add all the ingredients and simmer till the sauce is good and thick. Serve with tooth picks.

My folks love them here.

Note 1: You can use those small sausages that Hill Shire Farm sells instead of the franks.

Note 2: You can also do this with Beer and BBQ sauce. We call them "Tipsy Weenies".

Bill The Grill Guy said:
Try this one:

In a small pan, add all the ingredients and simmer till the sauce is good and thick. Serve with tooth picks.

My folks love them here.

Note 1: You can use those small sausages that Hill Shire Farm sells instead of the franks.

Note 2: You can also do this with Beer and BBQ sauce. We call them "Tipsy Weenies".

Bill that recipe is also good with meatballs!!!

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Bill The Grill Guy":1vbpajih]Try this one:

My folks love them here.

Bill that recipe is also good with meatballs!!![/quote:1vbpajih]

and lil smokie's

Edit: screwed up the quote tag.

Mr. Penn did you smoke the chicken chunks?
They looked good!

For xmas I made some of those meatballs with Welch's grape jelly and Heinz chili sauce in the crockpot. I was surprised at how good they were.

John those chicken things were very tastey......you are right they were a little hot for the General Public...you might want to cut some of the chipolte powder with some Hungarian Paprika.....just a thought...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom