Sundays Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larry Wolfe said:
Finished pics. I ran out of time and did not separate the flat from the point and sliced away. I was very disappointed with the lack of smoke ring. The flavor was great and very tender. I used the Wolfe Rub and was very skeptical that I would have an overly sweet brisket, but I just wanted to try it. I was happy with the flavor and the texture from the rub. It was not sweet at all IMO.

Now about the beans. I tried my own version of beans cooked in the smoker and can guarnatee it will be the last time. I don't care for the smokiness in the beans at all. I used one very small piece of wood and it overpowered the beans.

Anyways, Here's the pic's.

I'd like to take back what I said about the beans. After making the post and saying the smokiness overpowered the beans, I went to have more and changed my opinion. The first serving I had, I didn't think I liked very much. Well after eating more of them, I couldn't get enough. Maybe once they were stirred it distributed the smoke throughout the beans. I don't know, but second time around they were awesome!

Good looking stuff there Larry. It looks like there was some smoke ring formation. How long did you leave the beans in the smoker?

Bruce B said:
Good looking stuff there Larry. It looks like there was some smoke ring formation. How long did you leave the beans in the smoker?

Bruce,
I totally forgot we were having beans, (Miller Lites fault) until an hour or so before we wanted to eat. So I put them in the cooker after I pulled the brisket and added on chunk of wood for about an hour. Then I finished them in the oven. I can't believe I didn't like them at first! They were indeed very good afterall. Maybe I learned a lesson to stir the bean to distribute the smoke from the top.

TexLaw said:
That's a good lookin' brisket there, Larry. I don't get too excited about a smoke ring, one way or the other. There's enough there to tell me it was barbequed, and that's good enough for me.
TL

Thanks Tex! I agree, as long as it tastes good that's all that counts!

If you didn't like the beans in the smoker but still wanted the flavor, you could add some of the BBQ'd meat or better yet some of the drippings to the beans to get that flavor we all know and love.

Bruce B said:
If you didn't like the beans in the smoker but still wanted the flavor, you could add some of the BBQ'd meat or better yet some of the drippings to the beans to get that flavor we all know and love.

No actually I thought I didn't like them (that doesn't really make sense) 8-[ . But once I stirred the beans and incorporated the smoke flavor throughout the bowl, the beens were fantastic!

Bruce B said:
I got it Larry, I was just giving you options man....options. :hug:

Yeah I know!! I've always heard rave reviews about beans underneath butts, but have always been skeptical about all that grease in the beans. Guess I'll have to try it soon, maybe this weekend!

Yup. Looks great Larry!

Suggestion for ya, in my last batch of doctored beans that went on the WSM I added nearly a whole ring of sliced lean ham sausage and those beans were da bomb!

Shawn White said:
Yup. Looks great Larry!

Suggestion for ya, in my last batch of doctored beans that went on the WSM I added nearly a whole ring of sliced lean ham sausage and those beans were da bomb!

I thought I was the only person who knew about ham sausage!! Nobody I talk top has heard of it!! That sounds great! I will try that next time, thanks Shawn.

Captain Morgan said:
well, is anyone gonna tell us what ham sausage is? Where do you get it?

Should be able to get it at the grocery store, we have it here. I can't recall who makes it though, but it is awesome.

Captain Morgan said:
well, is anyone gonna tell us what ham sausage is? Where do you get it?
I get mine from the grocery store as well.

It's a bit different then regular sausage texture wise. It's usually lean, at least in the sense of no large fat chunks. It usually has few or no gristle chunks. It tastes, well, kinda like ham.

Maybe one of the sausage gurus can chime in here (you know who you are ... Jim) to explain why it's different.

Back
Top Bottom