Suggestions On Doing Burnt Ends

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbquzz

Master Chef
I'm 3-5 hours from my first packer coming off the WSM. Here is basically what I think I'm going to do, I got this from the VWB, but would sure be open and like to have any suggestions anyone would offer. "Another approach for making burnt ends is to separate the point section from the flat section after the flat is done, then return the point to the cooker for smoke for an additional 4-6 hours. Chop the point, mix with barbecue sauce, and enjoy!" Is there a better time measurement than 4 - 6 hours, maybe a temperature or appearance? Thanks all!

That is about right. Return to the smoker wrapped in foil to render some more. Three hours may do it a a higher temp. Make into cubes after that, sort in pan or grill sheet. Sauce or dont sauce, depending on region and return to smoker for some smoke and firming up. Then eat the dang thangs.

I made some purty good crispy critter chunks a few times by separating the point from the flat while raw then putting the point on the rack above the flat and covering the point with an upside down disposable Aluminum Steam Table pan. That allows the point drippings to baste the flat and crisps up the point real nice. Everything gets done at about the same time. Might try that sometime if you got room.

bigwheel

I may be odd. But I cut the point off, chunk it up and put the heat to them with sauce. Kind of like home fries. Works for me. A grill basket is what I use. But then again, I cook a little bit hotter than 250 F. I cook direct, so your millage may very.

Pigs

Thanks Pigs sounds like a very kewlish idear. Now do you try to trim it up any prior to cooking?

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Thanks Pigs sounds like a very kewlish idear. Now do you try to trim it up any prior to cooking?

bigwheel

Hell no! :LOL: take the whole packer to 200F or so, cut the point off and reserve the flat for slicing, as the flat rest, hack up the point and let it roll.

Pigs

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
bigwheel said:

bigwheel

Hell no! :LOL: take the whole packer to 200F or so, cut the point off and reserve the flat for slicing, as the flat rest, hack up the point and let it roll.

Pigs

I'm with pigs. That's exactly how we do it for the family and comps. Absolutely no trimming beforehand except the silverskin so the rub can penetrate. We cook on a UDS and since the charcoal is underneath we cook fat side down. In any other cooker I like fat up to baste the meet. That's just my opinion.

Ok think I'm getting the pitcher now. Did not realize we was speaking of a "cooked" point. That little factoid seems to have been omitted from the original post. Now I trim the snot out of packers prior to cooking with the goal being to get rid of all the fat except about a quarter inch on the fat side. Thats the way Gordo taught me so it bound to be right. I also go fat side down for all occasions.

bigwheel

I cube up the point…hit it with some more rub toss it in a disposable pan hit it with some more smoke for a couple of hours then hit it with some sauce for an hour.

Think I compredeh whut your saying here. If so...seen a fella use a little variant involving a Wally World pumped flat and bacon. Hit in the money. Guess it works:)

bigwheel

Cliff H. said:
I may try slicing the point off close to the flat but leave enough of it to cover the entire flat with a thin layer of point meat.

Back
Top Bottom