still having trouble with my ribs (from below)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sluggo

Cook
If this is a double post sorry in advance

from below I am still having rib problems.

used another slab from Sam's
put on my Traeger on low (around 200?) used 3-2-1 method
checked them, they weren't done, weren't pulling back from the bone

so I foiled them & put them in the frig overnight(6 hrs on grill & it was midnight). the next morining I put them in the oven (in foil) at 220 for 2 hts. by this time I have the grill fired up. this time I put it on medium & checked the temp on the gril, it was around 225 maybe 250 max. Left them in the foil for 2 more hrs.

checked & they were pulling back from the bone, so unfoiled them, on the grill, same temp, for about an hour, now they pulled back around 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

2 problems I noticed:
1) they still didn't seem relaxed, although not tuff, they weren't tender
either

2) they tasted hammy

think about going to a rib joint to just to remember what ribs taste like!

what do you think, bad ribs?, too long/short. I used a rub that I have used before on butts & everything was okay. & I didn't let the rub sit a long time, just put it on, put ribs on the grill

thanks in advance & Merry Christmas!!

Hammy taste sounds like a rub that has too much salt or your ribs are enhanced. 3-2-1 not working the first time cooking the ribs, cooking temp is to low if it's at 200*. I'd raise it to 250* grate temp.

200* is to low IMHO like Nick said..I do my ribs lower that most and they take longer....if you go low like 225-250* grate the meat will not really pull back as an indicator of being done.

The overnight rest between cooks didn't help any either I am sure. Definitely turn up the heat to around 240 that will help tons 200 for 3-2-1 won't do you.

I smoke ribs between 225 and 250. The smoker usually bounces between 225 to 240 (offset smoker). The WSM stays pretty steady where I lock it in at. Usually on the WSM it will be anywhere between 225 and 250 and it will stay there. Spares take anywhere between 6 or 7 hours for me. I usually start the ribs about 11 AM and they will be finishes between 5 and 6. I'll let them rest about 15 or 20 and start cutting the slab.

Keep trying you'll get it!

sluggo said:
If this is a double post sorry in advance

from below I am still having rib problems.

used another slab from Sam's
put on my Traeger on low (around 200?) used 3-2-1 method
checked them, they weren't done, weren't pulling back from the bone

so I foiled them & put them in the frig overnight(6 hrs on grill & it was midnight). the next morining I put them in the oven (in foil) at 220 for 2 hrs. by this time I have the grill fired up. this time I put it on medium & checked the temp on the gril, it was around 225 maybe 250 max. Left them in the foil for 2 more hrs.

checked & they were pulling back from the bone, so unfoiled them, on the grill, same temp, for about an hour, now they pulled back around 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

2 problems I noticed:
1) they still didn't seem relaxed, although not tuff, they weren't tender
either

2) they tasted hammy

think about going to a rib joint to just to remember what ribs taste like!

what do you think, bad ribs?, too long/short. I used a rub that I have used before on butts & everything was okay. & I didn't let the rub sit a long time, just put it on, put ribs on the grill

thanks in advance & Merry Christmas!!

Am I reading this post wrong or did you cook those ribs for a total of 11 hours?

As others have stated your temps were too low. Depending on where you were measuring your temp, you more than likely were actually cooking lower than 200*. You want a grate temp (where the meat is) no lower than 225* preferably closer to 235*.

As far as the "hammy taste" I don't believe Sams sells enhanced ribs, so that's not the problem. What basically happened was you salt cured the ribs, due to the low low temps, the salt in the rub and the fact it sat on them so long at those temps.

Next time rub your ribs straight out of the fridge and immediately put them on the grill, cold. It won't hurt to leave it on an hour or so, but overnight is overkill. Bump up your temps next time as well and you'll be in good shape. If you plan on reheating to serve the next day, undercook the ribs, that way when you're reheating them they don't get overcooked. Unless you prefer them falling off the bone a properly cooked rib will let you take a bit with just a slight tug to the meat without the meat falling off the bone. You should still be able to get a clean bone when done, but you should have to bite the meat off.

Buy yourself the digital thermostat kit. You can dial in the tempatures better. I've been cooking all weekend and did 7lbs of country ribs yesterday at 225 for 6 hours.

Ratman said:
Buy yourself the digital thermostat kit. You can dial in the tempatures better. I've been cooking all weekend and did 7lbs of country ribs yesterday at 225 for 6 hours.

I've been contemplating this myself, I have the 3 setting model on my 'Lil Tex and I find that the smoke setting is a little low. I don't know why Traeger just does away with the older boards and offers the digital controller on all their models....

Back
Top Bottom