Steamship Round

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unless you plan on cooking for an Army you may want to reconsider. Steamship round is a huge (40-60lbs) cut (the ham of the cow) that contains numerous muscles. Yes you can smoke it, you want to cook it slow in the first place. Cook to a medium rare and slice against the grain.

Put a pan under it with some oil and beef stock in it to catch the dripping for au jus. Cook at 275* until desired doneness if most people like their meat about the same. A higher temp if your crowd likes their meat at different ends of the doneness spectrum.
A 19 lbs one will barely fit in a WSM.

Larry Wolfe said:
Unless you plan on cooking for an Army you may want to reconsider. Steamship round is a huge (40-60lbs) cut (the ham of the cow) that contains numerous muscles. Yes you can smoke it, you want to cook it slow in the first place. Cook to a medium rare and slice against the grain.

I have to give a guy a price quote for a catering job. He requested Steamship round.

Any idea how much these are per pound?

Bill The Grill Guy said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":2chuq7lw]Unless you plan on cooking for an Army you may want to reconsider. Steamship round is a huge (40-60lbs) cut (the ham of the cow) that contains numerous muscles. Yes you can smoke it, you want to cook it slow in the first place. Cook to a medium rare and slice against the grain.

I have to give a guy a price quote for a catering job. He requested Steamship round.

Any idea how much these are per pound?[/quote:2chuq7lw]

Doubt you'll be able to get the Steamship round unless you go to a restraunt suppler like Restraunt Depot in Alexandria. Call around to butchers in your area and see if they can get it and give you a price. I'd suggest doing what Finney has recommended.

the only time i've seen one done was on an oil tank w/fire box rotisserie cooker....looked pretty tasty, it's an impressive piece of meat...

Rob

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom