Starting a rub recipe.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BchrisL

Senior Cook
Brisket Rub

This is the latest base recipe I am starting to work on. If it works well I will leave it as is. As time goes on, I might tweak it a little if the taste needs it. Rumor this is a Texas Style rub. I don't know Texas style cooking, but I have heard they do a pretty tasty brisket down there, so I thought I would try this one.

Ingredients

1 (4-pound) (2 kg)beef brisket, trimmed

24 g dark brown sugar
12 g chili powder
12 g paprika
36 g salt
9 g garlic powder
6 g onion powder
6 g black pepper ( I started to say black powder but thought better of it)
5 g cayenne
5 g dry mustard
4 g ground cumin

Rub it on the brisket, wrap it up and put in the refrigerator overnight. Slow Cook the next day.

I can hear the howling now, but I use weight not volume to measure.

Just put a bowl on the scale and pour in the ingredient, tare, pour in the next ingredient, tare and so on till it is done. One bowl, one scale, quick, no other utensils less cleanup.

I use grams cause they are small compared to ounces and there are no fractions.

I will post more with pictures after the cook in a day or two.

Last edited:
Looks good. I say, whatever you season your steaks with, will be good on your brisket.

It's 7 am and the process begins. The brisket I rubbed with the dry rub you see above yesterday. It's been in the frig till this morning, wrapped in plastic.

img_263667_0_a2d80b1b2438b690fe21c2405456c2f7.jpg

I filled the egg with mesquite. I hope to get a long slow burn out of this load cause I don't plan to open the lid till 5 or 6 ish.

img_263667_1_e82d5f3750ec82664f195c78fcbb47e2.jpg

Last look before the long journey to doneness.

Looks good on the rub. They throw folks in jail for having doper scales around here. Drug Paraphernalia ya know? Now they did teach us in college physics a fly weighs about a gram and fly's turd weighs about a milligram. The prof said that's all we needed to know about that stuff. Up until just now he was sure right.

img_263689_0_ac9619bc4e64c8a21f7f9f3a61941296.jpg

Pulled it off around 6 pm.

img_263689_1_c827def8d917973a9278dc5822198397.jpg

img_263689_2_405ed3630ecb65049f5cb4a451507beb.jpg

Overlooked dry and crunchy. For the amount of time was cooking it should have been around 225 to 250. I was able to redeem it by foiling with sugar honey and apple juice in the oven to soften up the crust. I let it go too long. Well there is next time.

img_263689_3_bb1adbee174a64979143e95d79e32c62.jpg

Andy brought a sample of Mook's sauce (Mook's Barbeque) which is very good. He was over there doing some plumbing repairs the other day. It would have been spectacular on some properly cooked brisket.

img_263689_4_b03047444386acc65fee6c6480276433.jpg

The rub works very well. If there is any tweaking to be done, I would reduce the salt by 20% and try again. Other that my cooking error having to foil the brisket I think will be added to my routine when cooking these things.

All that said, everybody loved it and it disappeared quickly.

Looks good on the rub. They throw folks in jail for having doper scales around here. Drug Paraphernalia ya know? Now they did teach us in college physics a fly weighs about a gram and fly's turd weighs about a milligram. The prof said that's all we needed to know about that stuff. Up until just now he was sure right.

So you going to Burning Bubba this weekend?

Typical housefly:

Adult size: 5-7 mm = 0.005-0.007 m

Adult mass: 12 mg = 0.000 012 kg

Lifespan: 7 days = 604 800 s

Read more: http://www.physicsforums.com

Last edited:
Can I ask where you are, that you are using metric. It may be a bit confusing for B-Dub, he is kinda a simpleton...

LoL Just Playing bro!!!!

Nice cut of meat by the way.

Can I ask where you are, that you are using metric. It may be a bit confusing for B-Dub, he is kinda a simpleton...

LoL Just Playing bro!!!!

Nice cut of meat by the way.

I'm in one of the three country's on earth not using the metric system. But seriously, the scale I bought has both scales and the grams unit is 2.8'times smaller than 1/10 ounce, making it the most accurate unit on the scale.

If I had used tenths of an ounce to measure, it would have had enough rub for three briskets and could not have used it all.

Next time I will plug in the meat thermometer rather than watch to clock and the cooker temps. Brisket is tricky I found, but I am not giving up on this, as it is a great crowd pleaser. People came over last night,and now all I have left is a little piece wrapped up in the frig for lunch.

I'm gonna try again tomorrow. I reduced the salt in the rub about 20% because I reread my comments from last time in this post.
Ingredients

1 (4-pound) beef brisket, trimmed

24 g dark brown sugar
12 g chili powder
12 g paprika
30g salt
9 g garlic powder
6 g onion powder
6 g black pepper
5 g cayenne
5 g dry mustard
4 g ground cumin

img_264091_0_0e1ba3c09ea2e2d25d362a589111cdcd.jpg

Last Saturday, Andy and I took off and went to the KCBS competition. In Washington D.C. We got to hang out back stage at Big Mook's stand. I got to see a real team in action and I got some inside information on the preps for competition brisket. I am anxious to try them out this time with the rub I am working on.

These are a couple of pictures I took at Jeff's area Saturday.

img_264091_1_c5980eb003905afa0094a6d7045ff2a7.jpg

This is the teamwork I saw there. Folks were really hopping and taking care of business.

I will post some pictures of tomorrow's cook as soon as they become available.

Back
Top Bottom