Startin' out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Full Tray

Puff Man,
Let me guess???? You used Briquette charcoal, HUH? If you would have use 100% Lump charcoal you would ahve had almost NO ash in the box even after 14 hours of smoking.
You sound mighty proud of that smoker. And you should be. Q looks GREAT and so does the Ol' smoker.
Try the Lump!!!!!
Smoke On!!!! wi yo ba sef.
ed

Puff, was the damper on the stack open? It looked closed to me but perhaps me eye let me down. It all looked good...I assume that was you with the heater and the beer?

Nice burn on the finger too...bet you won't do that again next time out! Looks like a lot of food...no invite?? :(

Re: Full Tray

kickassbbq said:
Puff Man,
Let me guess???? You used Briquette charcoal, HUH? If you would have use 100% Lump charcoal you would ahve had almost NO ash in the box even after 14 hours of smoking.
You sound mighty proud of that smoker. And you should be. Q looks GREAT and so does the Ol' smoker.
Try the Lump!!!!!
Smoke On!!!! wi yo ba sef.
ed
Half briquette, half lump, thanks for the info :!:

Greg Rempe said:
Puff, was the damper on the stack open? It looked closed to me but perhaps me eye let me down. It all looked good...I assume that was you with the heater and the beer?

Nice burn on the finger too...bet you won't do that again next time out! Looks like a lot of food...no invite?? :(
I can't tell either, looks closed, yes thats me the proud new daddy :D . There will definitly be more burns :eek: I do it all the time :!: Next time come on up :grin:

It might help you keep a more consistent pit temp if you leave the damper on the stack wide open! Use the firebox vent to get it hotter or cooler if needed! :(

It is a good idea to put a lot of food on. When it gets warmer and people open their windows they will flock over, and be yer bestest buddies when you fire up that smoker. :D

Greg Rempe said:
It might help you keep a more consistent pit temp if you leave the damper on the stack wide open! Use the firebox vent to get it hotter or cooler if needed! :(
It's going to take some time to get used to it, thanks for thetip :(

I'll repeat ......

oompappy said:
Puff,
The Chargriller is an excellent cooker. http://chargriller.com
For the money you can't get a more versatile BBQ pit. The cast iron
cooking grates make it perfect for direct or indirect grilling. With
the offset fire box it makes a pretty decent smoker.
I've got one of the older models, the new ones have some improvements
but here are a couple mods that will make it even better.

Fire box basket mod, makes ash drawer usable.

Chimney extention mod to 2" above grates
helps to control temps

Also, hanging the charcoal grate that's in the cooking chamber upside
down will act as a tuning plate to keep temps more even.

Mighty fine job Puff! The Q looked great! I've had alot of long cooks when by the time dinner was ready I was 3 sheets to the wind and didn't eat till the next day. Those are good cooks!!!

Larry Wolfe said:
Mighty fine job Puff! The Q looked great! I've had alot of long cooks when by the time dinner was ready I was 3 sheets to the wind and didn't eat till the next day. Those are good cooks!!!
It was more like 10 sheets :bar: . I gotta' learn how to take better pics, the one was a bowl of frigin' slaw :!:

brian j said:
yea, looks good. where those hush puppies i saw? i love'em but have never cooked them.
Yes they were, yes they weredry as a sun baked dog turd :eek: . First time i ever made em', mabey the last :eek:

Puff,

Great job, Que looks good.

I leave the exhaust vent wide open on my Bar-B-Chef and regulate the heat on the firebox damper just as Greg recommended.

I just got my Bar-B-Chef the last week in December so I'm still new at fire management. I have smoked on it about 6 times. I also have been using only lump since the second cook. I only get a handful of ash with lump.

The Missing Link said:
puff you did and outstanding job on your first cook. :D I love my char-griller do the firebox mod and a charcoal basket and you will be cooking. ps check out www.barbecuebible.com if that ok with greg rempe.
Greg who? #-o I'm a member over there thanks to you =D> . Thanks brother :grin:

Puff said:
I got pretty drunk yesterday, could barely see the screen #-o . But anyways heres the pics. =D> Everything came out pretty good, It was hard to keep a good temp, it was pretty cold out. The only thing I didn't like was the tray in the fire box got full before I was done, other than that I'm :grin: :grin: http://img206.imageshack.us/slideshow/p ... 09zpz.smil

Nice looking set up there Puff , menu looks great too !!!! =D>

Back
Top Bottom