St. Louis vs. Spare Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
vmabuck said:
We recently got one of our orders a little twisted up and we got sent 72 racks of St. Louis Style ribs.

After cutting about 16 to 20 racks of your standard spare ribs a day these St. Louis style ribs were a treat.

I also think they have a better looking presentation when plated up. we have always thought about experimenting with this cut but just never pulled the trigger. Now thanks to the delivery SNAFU we are much happier.

We are now a St. Louis style crew.

Opinions?

I agree, St Louis cut make a much nicer presentation and are easier to eat! Save yourself a couple bucks and just buy the spares and trim them yourself next time. It's easy and you get great trimmings for beans and such!

Sysco used to carry a St Louis style, but packaged it as a Carolina. Yeah, I know, No Such Rib, but thats what they called it. Think it was a Smithfield product. Not sure if they still have it as I changed vendors for my ribs.

vmabuck said:
I think we would take that advice except we are cooking between 16 and 20 racks a day.

We also wouldn't use the trimmings. We don't use them in any of our sides. we are willing to take the price increase, we just adjust the price on the menu a bit.

I have eaten St. Louis style countless times and never put two and two together on how much easier they would be when dealing in mass amounts.

Our only issue now is we can't seem to be able to find them cased up fresh in the vacuum pack bundles. Or at least Sysco does not offer this and we can't rely on Sam's or Costco, in fact, I don't think I have ever seen St. Louis style in Sam's anyway...

Know any good meat wholesalers that can deliver to Pecos NM? We would like to deal with Texas companies if possible...

THe trimmings (tips) are pretty worthless unless you have folks who will buy them. I got tired of throwing them out at jobs, and switched to Loin Backs!

Woodman said:
THe trimmings (tips) are pretty worthless unless you have folks who will buy them. I got tired of throwing them out at jobs, and switched to Loin Backs!

They're great for lots of sides after they smoke for a couple hours. BBQ beans, black eye peas, butter, pinto, collards, etc.

Well guess I am stumbling over the word "fresh" in the product you are hunting. You mean fresh as in never frozen perhaps? That might be a hard bill to fill for Sysco..they buys em frozen when they are cheap and throw them in their big freezers and wait till they go up then start selling like crazy. Taking a wild guess you in the food bidness? Have you ever entertained the thought of cooking whole untrimmed racks? Just cut a few slashes through the brane on whut you parts you would normally throw away...and the mark of Zorro on the back side. Use your super sharp Forschsner 6" curved boner. Sure would be a plate filler and know the yups like to take some dawggy treats home with em in case they hit some chewy spots. Just splains it to em. Cost couldnt get much cheaper for you. Twenty racks aint no massive quantity of ribs. Now twenty cases is a lot of ribs. :)

bigwhee

Larry Wolfe said:
Woodman said:

They're great for lots of sides after they smoke for a couple hours. BBQ beans, black eye peas, butter, pinto, collards, etc.

I agree. If you have 1-6 racks. What am I going to do with 40 tips? When you expand the scale, your entire perspective changes, as I am certain you can relate with your rub business!!

we have been grinding the trimmings and make fatties with it. Works great and taste even better.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom