Split the Brisket ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
Here lately I have been buying the smallest brisket I can find cuz I have been doing a lot of experimentation.

I am thinking about buying a big one a split it lengthwise.

I have read that they cook better when left whole but what if I split it and lay trimmings on the grate between the two and push the two halves close together to somewhat reform the original size ?

Cliff H. said:
Here lately I have been buying the smallest brisket I can find cuz I have been doing a lot of experimentation.

I am thinking about buying a big one a split it lengthwise.

I have read that they cook better when left whole but what if I split it and lay trimmings on the grate between the two and push the two halves close together to somewhat reform the original size ?

I'm confused, why split it? Is there a space issue? Time issue?

If you're going to cut it, cut it with wise. That way you are still able to get some nice slices.

I wouldn't consider doing it unless it was a big monster to begin with.

Larry,
I really think the point does something for the flat. I am going to see if I can find a deep and wide brisket.

It will be an interesting test.

Cliff H. said:
I wouldn't consider doing it unless it was a big monster to begin with.

Larry,
I really think the point does something for the flat. I am going to see if I can find a deep and wide brisket.

Cliff seeing as the point only covers a portion of the flat, I don't see the rationale?

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Cliff H.":2y2465n6]I wouldn't consider doing it unless it was a big monster to begin with.

Larry,

Cliff seeing as the point only covers a portion of the flat, I don't see the rationale?[/quote:2y2465n6]

I could be wrong about this but my reasoning is that "If" I split a big boy brisket and have good coverage from the point of both halves then It would cook like two briskets. If I cut the brisket width wise then it will cook like a 1/2 packer and a 1/2 flat.

Eh... makes sense....but why not just separate the point beforehand, cook it on the side, and do the same methods with the point? I mean, it's the flat that you're really doing the test on eh?

Down here sams sells untrimmed flats & whole packers too. If slit it longways & put back together its gona shrink while cookin & open up a gap tween the 2 halfs.

Keep in mind that the whole purpose for doing this is so I can use Wolfe rub on one side and Tx bbq rub on the other. Foil one and not the other. Inject one and not the other. Stuff like that. ;)

Don't it suck. I got the same problem. I need to practice but can't eat it all, and therefore cannot justify buying a lot of meat. I got friends and neighbors that bring stuff over for me to cook and I always make sure I give it a taste test before giving it to them. This helps. WRITE down everything, every detail about the cook.

IMHO, only cook what you would for a comp. Don't cut it in half. Either cook the whole packer or just the flat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom