Split Pit Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteerCrazy

Head Chef
Thinkin of splittin a couple chickens and smokin 'em this weekend. Keep the therm in the thigh and pull at 160*? or is it 170*, cant remember. About how long does it take to smoke? 1-2 hours? I've done split chickens in the past when I first got my WSM about 5 years ago and haven't done one since.

I'm no expert, but I always cook chicken to 180.
Undercooked poultry scares me!

If you smoke (235-250) it'll take around 3 hours. If you cook higher (better skin) around 375-400* it should take about 45min to 1 hr. Pull when the breast hits 163* and the thigh is around 170*. Poultry (white and dark meat) is safe at 165*. If you pull the chicken when the thigh is 180* your breast will be over done.

Larry Wolfe said:
If you smoke (235-250) it'll take around 3 hours. If you cook higher (better skin) around 375-400* it should take about 45min to 1 hr. Pull whne the breast hits163* and the thight is around 170*. Poultry (white and dark meat) at 165*. If you pull the chicken when the thigh is 180 your breast will be over done.

Thanks Larry.....I plan to smoke it then finish it off on the grill, crisp up the skin. I remember doin 'em and takin about 3 hours.
thanks again all

mrgrumpy said:
When I do halves, I pull mine at 167 in the thigh. The temps will climb a couple of degrees after you pull it.

The breast will be done, and juicy. All the liquids should be clear. I smoke mine at abt 250, and it is done in abt 3 to 3 1/2 hrs.

Bill

thanks bill.....I might pull early so I can crisp the skin direct on the grill....

I don't think I have ever cooked split chicken to a "temp".... I cook it until the leg wiggles loose in it's socket.... just grab the end of leg and give it a gentle wiggle/twist... when it's loose..it's done :D
Maybe it's just chance, but I've never opened a piece that wasn't cooked through to the bone that doing it that way and it's never dry.

ok, I'll wiggle the leg, if she dances I'll throw her on the charcoal grill to crispy the skin. Pics (maybe) to come!!

Back
Top Bottom