Spending a Saturday with my two best Butts!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PantherTailgater

Senior Cook
A group of my wife’s relatives are visiting today. My wife is taking them, including her young nephew, to search for gems somewhere nearby (Thank You Lord for sparing me!) and I get to stay home to prepare BBQ for an afternoon meal. :D

I purchased a couple of Boston Butts, about seven pounds each, at BJ’s. They’re a little larger than I normally use so I’m starting a little earlier than when I planned. I’m grilling with charcoal and using hickory chunks to add just a little smoke to the process. I put the butts on the grill around 5 am so I’m thinking they’ll be ready by 4 pm. =P~

Wish me luck! I hope everything goes well.

img_54918_0_1ab34e9c350b7b7bb2524614988a6e59.gif

Good Morning everyone. It's going to be a HOT one here in Charlotte.

Finney, I use a CharGriller.

I added more charcoal at 7 am. The temp went up a little too high when I added the new coals so I had to close off the ventilation to cool her down. #-o

img_54925_0_6ec5d7ae57601a8270350a84d9834afa.gif

img_54925_1_900803efad20e49761cd55e7b426bbb5.gif

Looks like you are off to a great start! But at 7lbs each, won't it take 14 hrs or more to finish them?? Glad you didn't have to go gem hunting either!! :grin:

Greg Rempe said:
Looks like you are off to a great start! But at 7lbs each, won't it take 14 hrs or more to finish them?? Glad you didn't have to go gem hunting either!! :grin:

I usually use ones that are 5-6 pounds and they're ready around 10.5 hrs or so. Think it will take that much longer for these?

craig castille said:
You can increase the temp and finish them quicker. If you are cooking at 225, 11 hours may not be enough.

If you cook at 275, you'll probably be ok.

Or, you can wrap in foil to speed them up.

We'll see. It's just family so they can wait if they're not ready in 11 hrs. :D

I try to maintain it around 225 throughout and I never use foil. I test the internal temp and when it's at 190, I usually leave them on for additional 25 minutes or so. Since they're larger than I usually buy, I'll just have to play it by ear. It's pretty easy to touch them and see when they're getting close to the right texture based on the one's I've done in the past.

img_54964_0_f364f4246598fc21cce5500cb5fc00d6.gif

Just got a call from my wife. They've bailed on the gem hunting already! Can't blame them because it's getting rather toasty here in Carolina!!

Butts are coming along just fine.....................

Back
Top Bottom