Speaking Of Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ

Master Chef
Speaking of salt, I'm not sure many are aware of the different kinds of salt out there and the effect they have. Diamond Kosher salt has less sodium than Morton Kosher salt. Brine recipes need adjustment. Morton pickling salt is so fine that it can be over used vary easily. And good old Iodize table salt is no good for a rub or brine due to the content of iodine. Just a little heads up in case some didn't know.

Thanks Pigs,

I swear by Morton Kosher. I have used Diamond and noticed a difference. Now I know why. I'm not sure I even have iodized salt around here anymore. I got a sea salt grinder for my B-day a few years back and made the switch.

Good Q!

Jack

Diamond Crystal, Morton and table salts are sodium chloride. They're all salt. Where the difference is concerns volume. A cup of DC in a quart of water is going to be less salty than a cup of Morton, and much less than a cup of table salt. Diamond Crystal is lighter. It takes twice as much DC to equal the saltiness of table salt, thus requiring an adjustment if a recipe requires one and you've got another.

1 cup table salt=1.5 cups Morton Kosher=2 cups Diamond Crystal Kosher

Back
Top Bottom