Spareribs & CHicken Together???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharFace

Cook
I am looking to cook a couple of 4lb sparerib racks and a couple of 4lb whole birds tomorrow, and then it hit me:

I've never smoked a whole chicken, and I have never cooked spareribs indirectly. Is there a good compromise here? I'd like to get all of the meat prepared on the CG as I don't think I can cook 2 birds indirectly together on the 18.5" Weber Kettle.

Since ignorance is NOT bliss at my house, what do you folks suggest?

There is no problem cooking chicken and ribs together. 250 range should get the chickens above 140 ok.

The challenge is going to be getting all the meat on a CG without touching each other. You may have to lay the chicken down instead of BCC style.

Sholdn't be a problem at all. Put the birds closer to the firebox and rotate every 30 minutes to prevent oneside from over browning. Or if you'd like you can split the birds in half and that would make them easier to maneuver.

Cliff H. said:
There is no problem cooking chicken and ribs together. 250 range should get the chickens above 140 ok.

The challenge is going to be getting all the meat on a CG without touching each other. You may have to lay the chicken down instead of BCC style.

Thanks for the info, I'll double check the size of everything but I don't think I'll have a problem fitting everybody on the grill 8)

Larry Wolfe said:
Sholdn't be a problem at all. Put the birds closer to the firebox and rotate every 30 minutes to prevent oneside from over browning. Or if you'd like you can split the birds in half and that would make them easier to maneuver.

Yeah, I figured the firebox side would be better for the chicken and the whole crispy skin thing.

I never thought to butterfly the birds, might be a wise move since it will size them a little more on par with the ribs, possible keeping cooking times more even

That is the way I like to start split chickens also. I like to flip them about 1/2 way thru the cook. The breast meat stays real moist sandwiched between the juices collected on top and the skin. ;)

Looking good so far.

Cliff H. said:
That is the way I like to start split chickens also. I like to flip them about 1/2 way thru the cook. The breast meat stays real moist sandwiched between the juices collected on top and the skin. ;)

Looking good so far.

Yep,

I flipped 'em after about 2 hours, and I just pulled the birds now after 4 hours. I went to flip them again, but a drumstick fell off :LOL:

mmmmmmmmmmm Quality Control

Puff said:
Does my heart good to see a CG in action.
Lookin' good CF 8)

haha

The CG has not held up to the Florida weather very well cosmetically, but she can still turn out some dynamite vittals :LOL:

FYI I stashed the birds in a cooler after about 4 hours on the heat, and have just put them back on at about 5.5 hours in. I figure I can give 'em one last dose of heat whilist I get my saucin' on 8)

BTW, here is everyone at about 4 hours in when I pulled the birds.

Looked real good.
I used my CG afew weeks ago. It was alot of fun and alot of babysitting :shock:

Back
Top Bottom