Spareribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
Iowacane said:
My wife got a great deal on Pork Spareribs at the store, and I just realized that I have never done them on the ECB before. Anyway, any advice would be great. One more thing: Has anybody tried Mesquite for Spareribs ? Someone gave me about 10 pounds of Mesquite chips. I have never cooked with them before. I have always used Hickory.
Thanks.

Don't know if you've already made mod's to the ECB or not. If you haven't, I'd like to suggest to quick mods that will make your cooks painless. First drill about ten, half inch hole in the charcoal pan for better air flow and so the ash from the coals can fall out to keep your fire from dying. Then just get a good thermometer, don't go by the one that's on it. I know you didn't ask for modification help but I thought I'd offer since this cook will take about 6 hours for you, and I too started on an ECB.

You should try the Minion Method and then I'd suggest the "3-2-1" method. This process starts off w/the ribs on the smoker for 3 hours. After three hours you foil the ribs, at this time you can add a little apple juice (optional) and let cook in the foil for up to 2 hours (I only foil for about 1 hour). This will braise the ribs and break down the collagen and produce a very tender moist rib. For the last hour on the cooker you unfoil the ribs and at this time you can baste your ribs if you want to serve them wet. This will also help firm the ribs up a bit and keep them from falling apart. Hope this helps.

Mesquite wood is stronger than hickory, so if you decide to use it be careful on the amount.

Larry gives good advice Iowa...I have put mesquite on everything and it is good stuff...just don't over do it! :!:

Iowacane said:
My wife got a great deal on Pork Spareribs at the store, and I just realized that I have never done them on the ECB before. Anyway, any advice would be great. One more thing: Has anybody tried Mesquite for Spareribs ? Someone gave me about 10 pounds of Mesquite chips. I have never cooked with them before. I have always used Hickory.
Thanks.

I would say to stick with Hickory. Mesquite can overpower the ribs and make them taste nasty!
:bar:

Hi all, been lurking around absorbing the info ! Im trying ribs AGAIN and hopefully this time will be good. A local restaurent opened up and their smoked ribs are good. Now that I kow what they should taste like....

Im going to try the 3-2-1 method, and my question is what temp. I can achieve between 200 and 250 pretty good. Shood I try to stay towards the high end or the low end ?

Thanks, Ill err towards the lower end. Im also gonna try the chicken bacon skewers that were mentioned a while back. A lot of experimenting going on here this weekend...

john pen said:
Hi all, been lurking around absorbing the info ! Im trying ribs AGAIN and hopefully this time will be good. A local restaurent opened up and their smoked ribs are good. Now that I kow what they should taste like....

Im going to try the 3-2-1 method, and my question is what temp. I can achieve between 200 and 250 pretty good. Shood I try to stay towards the high end or the low end ?

John,
Try to keep your temp at 250* in the dome of the WSM. That gives you a top grate temp of approximately 235*. No need to go higher or lower in my opinion. That's my target temp for everything I cook in the WSM and am very happy with my results. Don't worry if your pit gains or drops several degrees from your target temp. If you try to keep exact temps, you'll drive yourself nuts! Good luck.

I don't think mesquite has to be too strong for ribs. If you use aggressive rub and/or sauce it might turn out fine. In general though I agree with the others. If you use mesquite, go light.

To be honest, I loved the salt and pepper side ribs I did over apple wood and I can't wait to do them again. Rub was S&P. No sauce, sauce served on the side at the table.

I dont actually have a WSM yet. Im using an old Brinkman perched atop of a modified woodstove. Im in the process of building a big smoker, but also hoping to score a WSM. You really cant have to many smokers !

Shawn White said:
I don't think mesquite has to be too strong for ribs. If you use aggressive rub and/or sauce it might turn out fine. In general though I agree with the others. If you use mesquite, go light.

To be honest, I loved the salt and pepper side ribs I did over apple wood and I can't wait to do them again. Rub was S&P. No sauce, sauce served on the side at the table.
'aggressive' wasn't quite the word I wanted to use ... if you use 'complimentary' rub and/or sauce I think mesquite could be fine.

Also, personal preference is a factor. I think Greg the commander in chief here was on a mequite kick last year. Like 6 - 8 chunks for a brisket cook (or was it pork butts Greg?). Maybe you will like mesquite with ribs, maybe you won't. Try it out, it's only one cook.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom