Spare Ribs Today.....Finished Pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
Got 3 new rubs to try out that I received during the holidays; The Slabs "Perk Up Your Pork", Dave Klose Pork & Rib rub which I received from Tannehill Kid in the gift exchange, and "Hawgrub" from Chuck at Nakedpig BBQ, who is a member on our Board, who was kind enough to send me his rub to try out.

Here's some early pics, they'll go on the WSM around noonish over some Royal Oak lump with some hickory and sugar maple chunks for smoke. Did not use any slather today just the rub.

Lastly, a nice pecan pie I made the other day which turned out real good.

More to follow....

Here's the finished pics:

Did half of each rack with sauce and the other half without to taste the rub. Chuck's Nakedpig BBQ Hawgrub was very good, it has some slight citrusy accents with a hint of sweetness to it. Dave Klose's rub was very good also, his rub has a sweet/salty thing going on that was very tasty on ribs. The Slabs rub was good but not great on ribs. It actually tasted kind of bland to me, which surprised me because tasting it alongside the others straight from the jar, I actually thought that would be the better rub. It wasn't bad, it just lacked any outstanding flavors to set it apart from other basic BBQ rubs.

I foiled these ribs at the 4 hour mark for 1 hour and then placed the sauce on them and tightened them up for about 20 minutes or so.

The beans are Keri C's Hog Apple Baked Beans and they were GREAT as usual.

Very nice looking ribs Bruce and trimmed to perfection. Cant's wait to see the final pics and that pecan pie looks really, really good.

I can not tell a lie, I didn't trim the ribs, they came that way from Restaurant Depot where I bought them, the only thing I did to them was remove the membrane and trim off a little bit of fat. But you are right those are some nicely trimmed ST. Louis cut spares.

Bruce,

What was the price per lb for the spares at Restaurant Depot? I got a complimentary membership but haven't been down there yet. I'm impressed that the ribs came that nicely trimmed.

Kloset BBQR said:
Bruce,

What was the price per lb for the spares at Restaurant Depot? I got a complimentary membership but haven't been down there yet. I'm impressed that the ribs came that nicely trimmed.

Dallas, if I remember correctly they were about $2.19 or 29/lb I prepped them last night and threw away the cryo pack with the price.

Checking their website today here's an example of some of their prices on things:

Chuck Roll $1.89/lb
Superior Angus Beef Brisket $1.69/lb cs $1.89/lb unit
Pork Butts $1.09/lb
Chicken Leg Quarters/40lb box/$0.39/lb

Wear a coat when you go if you go into the meat area, they keep it at a constant 35º

Thanks, Bruce, those look like pretty good prices to me. I went to our local butcher shop. They have great meat but they wanted 3.99 lb for spares and 7 /lb for babybacks. I passed on both. I'll definitely pay Restuarant Depot a visit.

I'll have to take my life into my own hands and come out that way and check out the RD.
Good luck with the bones bud. ;)

big dude said:
Good report and the ribs look good, but I can cook ribs - send me the pie :) :)

I made that using Steen's Cane Syrup and brown sugar instead of Corn Syrup...that Karo corn syrup makes things way too sweet, even for my tastes.

Beautiful job on the ribs, pie and beans Bruce!! That's a great price for the trimmed ribs!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom