Spare Ribs and Primo Set Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
Got the spare ribs trimmed St. Louis style, seasoned one rack with Wolfe Rub Original and one with Kosher Salt, fresh ground black pepper and granulated garlic.

I also have some pic's here to show some folks that have been asking how you set the Primo up for indirect cooking. In the pic's you will see the lump with the wood chunks, then in the next pic's you won't see them anymore. There are "D Plates" that go between the fire and the food that baffle the direct heat and on top of those I put a couple aluminum pans for drippings. Similar to the set up in a WSM.

I also cut some apple limbs that I had and ended up with a whole milk crate full of apple chunks!

wittdog said:
How much radiant heat comes off of those D plates?

Dave I would say it's equivalent to the WSM water pan using sand. The meat is only about 3 inches away from the ceramic "D Plates" with no charring, over cooking etc.

Okay, I pulled the spare trimmings off and munching on them. The ribs are almost done, these are gonna be served dry. S&P ribs are in the front and the Wolfe Rub ones are in the back.

No foil either I see. 8)

Looks real good. How long do those trimmings take to cook ? I normally don't trim spares at all. I have been buying BB's cuz they fit in the wsm better. ;)

Cliff H. said:
No foil either I see. 8)

Looks real good. How long do those trimmings take to cook ? I normally don't trim spares at all. I have been buying BB's cuz they fit in the wsm better. ;)

The smaller pieces only take a couple hours.

Here's the finished pic's, I didn't get any sliced for some odd reason?? :cry: The ribs were good, not great but real good. Little bit over done, ie. falling off the bone... :oops:

Don't feel bad bout the pic's I get that Bud can stuck in my eye lots during cookin ;) Send me a rack I'll let you know how ya done

That looks really interesting Larry. I haven't seen those D plates before. Are they a Primo Option or did you get them somewhere else. I've been using the cast iron firebox divider for indirect cooking of my ribs. I like that setup also because you can finish the ribs directly over the coals at the end. But with your method you can obviously fit a greater quantity of ribs on the Oval.

So which ribs reigned supreme. I'm assuming the Wolf Rub but I see a lot of Texas BBQ joints that only use salt and pepper and was just wondering if there was a noticeable flavor difference or not.

Thanks for sharing!

Kloset BBQR said:
That looks really interesting Larry. I haven't seen those D plates before. Are they a Primo Option or did you get them somewhere else. I've been using the cast iron firebox divider for indirect cooking of my ribs. I like that setup also because you can finish the ribs directly over the coals at the end. But with your method you can obviously fit a greater quantity of ribs on the Oval.

So which ribs reigned supreme. I'm assuming the Wolf Rub but I see a lot of Texas BBQ joints that only use salt and pepper and was just wondering if there was a noticeable flavor difference or not.

Thanks for sharing!

Dallas, Primo does not yet offer the D-plates for the public, but they are anticipating at some point of selling them to the public. However, you can pretty much duplicate the same effect with 4 firebricks and an aluminum pan if you have the drip pan racks. Today I'm doing the brisket on the Jr. with just an aluminum pan, no firebricks.

To be honest, I did enjoy the s&p ribs, it was a nice change. I would definitely do them again. Both racks were pretty darn good.

Kloset BBQR said:
Thanks Larry, let me know when they offer them to the public.

Will do Dallas. I believe their priority right now is a Pizza Stone for the Jr., after that I think the D-plates are next.

Back
Top Bottom