Spare ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
The ribs I have bought over the last couple of months have really sucked (in one buy it was a case). They all have 4 to 5 shiners. When finished cooking the edge cut is little thicker than a slice of bread.
Yesterday, while in a super market (I always check out the meat counter) I saw some vacuum packed Swift brand ribs WITH MEAT ON THEM. There was actually a layer of meat over the bones. I got gitty and pinched the butt on the lady next to me. That didn't work out well.
But now I know WHO has decent ribs to sell.

The spares I purchased at Sam's the other day were missing the "sternum" bone.

It wasn't unitl the next day that I realized what was causing so much confusion for me when I went to cut the in to St. Louis style.

I get the IBP brand from BJ's and haven't had a problem with spares, LB's are a different story.

Cliff H. said:
The spares I purchased at Sam's the other day were missing the "sternum" bone.

It wasn't unitl the next day that I realized what was causing so much confusion for me when I went to cut the in to St. Louis style.

Cliff,

The spares at our Sam's also have the sternum bone removed.

Hey WD-

Some BJ's in the baltimore area carry Prairie Fresh (2 in a pack) while others started carrying smithfield (3 in a pack) just recently. No way to know unless you call or check them out.

Bruce B said:
[quote="Cliff H.":2o482deq]The spares I purchased at Sam's the other day were missing the "sternum" bone.

Cliff,

The spares at our Sam's also have the sternum bone removed.[/quote:2o482deq]

It is called the "chine" bone. the ribs i buy usually look like crown roasts!!! If anything, there is always TOO MUCH meat on them!! I buy at Sams, but they have IBP and Swift, and Smithfield at any given time. Most times the chine is off. I switched to loin backs like Dallas. Easier to trim/.clean. Most folks like them better too.

Back
Top Bottom