Something Humphrey's is "NO GOOD" for. - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2005, 09:41 PM   #1
Cooker

Something Humphrey's is "NO GOOD" for.

Made Chipotles today and started off with half a WSM ring of left over humphrey's. I'm using a Guru so all my vents are shut down. Outside air temp was 75 to 82 low humidity.

During the entire cook I was unable to get the temp below 180. Using Kingsford I can usually hold between 155 and 165 when doing this cook.

Humphreys is really good stuff. Summer high outside temp trying to hold very low pit temp is about the only thing I wouldn't use it for. And how often does anyone try that?

Old 09-10-2005, 09:56 PM   #2

Rob, I tried to get Humphreys's lump down in temp when I was cooking chicken on the kettle ~ It was just too damn hot ~ Couldn't do it! Seems like it's full steam ahead or choke. I had to finish my chicken on my gasser... Guess I need more practice with it.....

Now, if I'm doing burgers or steaks ...
Old 09-10-2005, 10:52 PM   #3
Cooker

No doubt. Next time I'm cooking 4 racks of chipotles or making lox I'll use Kingsford.

On the other hand for almost anything else this stuff rocks. In fact, for my winter cooks, even for the low temp stuff this stuff rocks.

Carrying this forward..... I'm even thinking about Thanksgiving turkeys. I wonder if I could get the WSM to sustain 375 with this stuff. I want my crispy skin..... on that turkey.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:56 PM   #4
Cooker

Bryan I went 18 hours on 1 ring plus I added some mid way.

I had relativelylitltle ash in the bottom of the of the WSM as compared to Kingsford. Oh and BTW, the brisket tasted really good. So did the chipotles. The stuff rocks.