some thing to think about

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
I decided to try this today…I might enter it in Ointoberfest if I can figure out how to get the coconuts to break more evenly…

Sorry about the pics but we have alot going on right now.....

It's supposed to be Coconut Custard in Coconut Shells....I probably left them on a little to long....The reicipe is in SR Beer can Chicken Book...I'll post it when I get time..The uncooked batter tasted good and I'll have to wait until they cool to let you know how they turned out.

Well it tasted good but I overcooked the custard. it does need some more flavor I have a few ideas…I see if I can get it right next time….I think next time I’ll do it on the WSM…

A chopsaw would do it, but the possiblity of inury would be above my comfort zone. The previous recommendation of a band saw is probally the best. Cleaning up the coconut milk will be messy. #-o

David Lohrentz said:
This sounds like an interesting recipe. Custards are a little tricky to get just right. They are sublime when cooked to perfection. When custards are baked in an oven, one typically puts the ramekins in a baking dish with hot water half way up the side to promote a more slow, even cooking of the custard. I wonder if there would be some way to replicate that effect on the grill.

You may try experimenting with a probe thermometer to help you to pull them at the right time, but keep in mind that with custards, the lower the baking temperature, the lower the finish temp will be. There will typically be some jiggle to the center of the custard when you pull them. They will set up more as they cool.
I was thinking that the coconut would help in that regard......I think the main problem was I just overcooked them.....I got called away from the grill and by the time I got back to it...was to late...I take full responsibility.....I might try to fill a pan with water and then put the coconuts in and cook like that...I might try a therm next time as well...I think the WSM would have been a better cooking option.....

The flavor was good, but as dave said, because they were a bit over cooked, the texture was off. However, in the bigger coconuts there was some custard at the bottom that was perfectly cooked.

Wittdogs B said:
The flavor was good, but as dave said, because they were a bit over cooked, the texture was off. However, in the bigger coconuts there was some custard at the bottom that was perfectly cooked.
Practice will make perfect, that is a great idea :!:

Back
Top Bottom