Smoking Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knine

Sous Chef
Yesterday i hooked up sum fresh chickens from the Whole Foods place that here . 4 large never frozen chickens the OK-Joe set at 220dec and 4hrs later it was awsome . i used pecan , cherry and a bit of hickory wood for smoke and used a slite type rub Big time BBQ rub .here ya go this should be better . as you see when i cook everybody helps out even 1 of my shepherds is rounding up some pecan wood for the somking . :P

the burnt look is what it is a look. the rub i use makes that burnt look but its just skin cooked real good .

Just curious why the use of Pecan and Hickory? They're of the same tree family therefore a similar smoke taste.

I agree, the chicken looked very....um....shal we say....done. I'd bet that the Cherry wood played a part in that also.

But as long as it tasted good.

Tim

CarolinaQue said:
Just curious why the use of Pecan and Hickory? They're of the same tree family therefore a similar smoke taste.

I agree, the chicken looked very....um....shal we say....done. I'd bet that the Cherry wood played a part in that also.

But as long as it tasted good.

Tim

Since Hickory and Pecan are such a strong smoke the subbtle diffrences are noticable. The pecan has a slightly sweeter flavor where the hickory is just slightly more hearty.

I hear ya Rockin. I just didn't understand why both woods would be used because they are so similar. I personally prefer Pecan over Hickory for chicken because I think that it is a milder, sweeter smoke. I was just thinking that with chicken, it may have been to much considering how easily chicken can be over smoked.

Tim

I use only Hickory to minimise the need to adjust processes. I know what Hickory will do so before I start mixing it up I have to have the rest of the process down perfect.

to be honest i used the pecan cuse thats whats laying around the yard and the hickory was left over and i figured why not try something a little different . i do tell ya that cherry wood you can tast it in the skin and a bit in the meat . i really like that wood . looking to just use that and pecan next time .

That's the most common wood combo that I use for flavor. Along with oak for the coals.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom