Smoking cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick Prochilo

Chef Extraordinaire
I've smoked it on my WSM. I made a tray out of aluminum foil that fit around the cheese and smoked it 1 hour at about 190*. Let it cool so it hardens again and it tasted grate. I also did it where we served it hot off the smoker, like a dip because it was still nice and soft.

I have often wondered the same thing. Everything I have seen says to run the offsets as low as you can. I am a stick burner but if I was to do the lower temps I would use charcoal and small chunks of wood.

I can't find the picture now...but I've seen where someone made a snake pattern out of unlit briquettes and added a piece or two of wood chunks I believe on one of the briquettes for the smoke. One briquette was lit and it touched the next unlit briquette which in turn lit the next...next...next briquette. This allowed for a very cool temperature and also the smoke. This was done in an offset smoker. If I find the picture I'll post it.

Good luck.

I have tried it twice in a WSM, the first time was after reading it badly described and I did it in 180° - 200° F smoke, way too hot, didn't like it at all.

The second time was after reading way more about it, the temp was down around 110° - 120° F and made for a much better product.

I made two flat squares of briquetts in fours, one on either side of the charcoal grate, then lit two briquetts with a blow torch in my chimney starter, and when lit, placed one on the middle of each square, I used mixed pellets of apple and oak, (2/3 apple, 1/3 oak), in foil pouches leaning over the top of each square.

When I do it again, I will try them as triangles of 3 briquetts and see if I can get down to the recommended under 100° F for cold smoking cheese.

From what I've heard...the temp should not be any higher than 90' and it helps to leave the cheese out in the air for an hour for the outside to firm up before smoking. ;)

For the cheese smoking project try using an electric hotplate with a pie pan or SS 1/9 pan on top...chunk or two of wood chips in the pan. Will make a lot of smoke and not much heat. Also works well for cold smoking sausage.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom