Smoking a Turkey Breast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

californiagrillin

Senior Cook
So I picked up a 4lb breast of turkey at costco this morning and wanted to smoke it to slice it up for lunch meat such as Smokey Lew (Who's been MIA by the way) did a few months back. Directions on the package state to cook in oven at 350 for an hour. Question is, do I want to smoke at 250-275 and leave in for how long, 2-3hours? Smoker is heating up now, so any advice would be very helpful. Thanks!

Cook it at the temps recommended on the package cept only bring it to 160 internal. Sometimes them crazy directions say to bring to 180 which turns it into a chunk of knotty pine.

bigwheel

What bigwheel said! If you go to 180 you'll have chunks for salad. I did 240 (raw turkey) for 8 hrs to 180 and it was dry tough chunks. Next time I'll go 240 to 165-170. Also use light smoke cause it'll get pungent fast and stay away from the blue K. Use RO or Stubbs.....

Your post on turkey breast brought me out of the shadows. I've been on sabbatical since my son's wedding a couple of weeks ago. I cooked up 8 pork butts and 5 trays of eggplant lasagna for the reception and then had to serve everything for 200 plus guests. It was a real burn out affair for me. I have a lot of respect for anyone doing catering now. The biggest problem was getting everything up to temp and transported to the reception. It all had to be prepared and heated at home and then toted in a modified large ice chest to keep things warm.

Anyway, the 160 degree internal temperature for the turkey is the way to go. By now you must have it sliced and ready for some sandwiches. Let us know how it came out. And thanks for keeping me in mind in your post. You guys are the best!!

325degrees cooker and an internal of 160degree for poultry (breast) works best for me. Crisp skin and moist meat.

Dittos on the 325. I might start getting a little nervous at 350. That is moving right along:)

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom