Smoking a Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm cooking turkey breasts this weekend anyone got any advice on brining??? How do I measure the temp? Pop up timers?

But is it really necessary to brine? Huh? Huh? Do you brine the turkey while it's still in the plastic?

Larry Wolfe said:
But is it really necessary to brine? Huh? Huh? Do you brine the turkey while it's still in the plastic?
And here I thought you were serious about wanting to brine... #-o

The Joker said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":25ej0o98]But is it really necessary to brine? Huh? Huh? Do you brine the turkey while it's still in the plastic?
And here I thought you were serious about wanting to brine... #-o[/quote:25ej0o98]

Oh yeah, like I gotta be persuaded to brine??? How long have you known me??? I was trying to make a funny and re-kindle this post since turkey season is coming up soon!!!

4.gif
4.gif
4.gif
4.gif
4.gif

Smokehouse said:
The Joker said:
The apple juice/honey brine here is fantastiK ! !

http://www.wbhays.com/BBQ/Turkey_Breast ... /index.htm

Hey Joker,
I like the link, but can't tell if the guy was using a water pan or not and if so, what was in it. Do you know?

Smoketurkey
It was me. :( And under the turkey, you can see foil that was over the water pan. In the pan were loosely crumpled balls of foil (4 of them I think) 'cause I use the BBQ Guru.

Larry Wolfe said:
Smokehouse said:
The Joker":2ck8dfqg]The apple juice/honey brine here is fantasti[b]K[/b] ! ! [url="http://www.wbhays.com/BBQ/Turkey_Breast_Trial_Cook_Thanksgiving_2004/index.htm said:
http://www.wbhays.com/BBQ/Turkey_Breast ... /index.htm[/url]

Hey Joker,
I like the link, but can't tell if the guy was using a water pan or not and if so, what was in it. Do you know?

Smoketurkey

SH, that was Bill's turkey. He uses a guru, so the water pan was empty except for some foil.[/quote:2ck8dfqg]
Thanks Larry...

Smokehouse said:
The Joker said:
...It was me. :( And under the turkey, you can see foil that was over the water pan. In the pan were loosely crumpled balls of foil (4 of them I think) 'cause I use the BBQ Guru.

So I guess with a guru, you don't need a heat sink like sand and the moisture from water is not a whole lot. And the balls of foil. Let me guess - they support the cover of foil to keep the pan clean. Right?

SH

SH,
The balls of foil are the heat sink for the guru.

Larry Wolfe said:
Smokehouse said:
[quote="The Joker":1xx4btj1]...It was me. :( And under the turkey, you can see foil that was over the water pan. In the pan were loosely crumpled balls of foil (4 of them I think) 'cause I use the BBQ Guru.

So I guess with a guru, you don't need a heat sink like sand and the moisture from water is not a whole lot. And the balls of foil. Let me guess - they support the cover of foil to keep the pan clean. Right?

SH

SH,
The balls of foil are the heat sink for the guru.[/quote:1xx4btj1]
Not true ~ It's there to help deflect the heat from radiating from the water pan. They do support the foil though. The newer way that the folks at the BBQ Guru are promoting is to ball up several sheets of foil and then open back up into sheets but leaving it crinkled and laying those sheets in the water pan on top of one another, then the grease catching foil over top of those. I think some people were balling the foil up too much and heat was radiating through the gaps between the foil balls...I just form them to take up all the space and it works great for me. You gonna get one? [-o<

The Joker said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":2eogx4x5]
Smokehouse said:
[quote="The Joker":2eogx4x5]...It was me. :( And under the turkey, you can see foil that was over the water pan. In the pan were loosely crumpled balls of foil (4 of them I think) 'cause I use the BBQ Guru.

SH

SH,
The balls of foil are the heat sink for the guru.[/quote:2eogx4x5]
Not true ~ It's there to help deflect the heat from radiating from the water pan. They do support the foil though. The newer way that the folks at the BBQ Guru are promoting is to ball up several sheets of foil and then open back up into sheets but leaving it crinkled and laying those sheets in the water pan on top of one another, then the grease catching foil over top of those. I think some people were balling the foil up too much and heat was radiating through the gaps between the foil balls...I just form them to take up all the space and it works great for me. You gonna get one? [-o<[/quote:2eogx4x5]

Whatever Billy!! What a crock of crap! Heat sink, heat deflector, whatever! If you don't us a Guru you don't have to worry about whether it's a heat sink or heat deflector. Sand is sand and water is water with or without the guru. <---That makes about as much sense as (it is or isn't a heat sink)

JHC This baffles me, we are making BBQ. Some people use electronics "Guru", some don't!! Some inject "ABC", some inject "XYZ". I don't get it??? People are spending more time, effort and money trying to make the perfect BBQ. Isn't the point of making BBQ supposed to be (you take a cheap piece of meat and make it into something good)?? It's not supposed to be you buy a cheap piece of meat, then you spend $X,000.00 to make it tender, moist and taste good! IMHO that takes everything away from what you are doing, making BBQ. I know this will offend or piss people off, but hey that's what I do best. If you have to use electronics or inject your piece of meat with some "Fab Schmab Crap" in order to make a quality product or to beat the guy next to you in a comp that is using a plain piece of meat and tending his fire then you suck! If you are using something to tend your fire (Guru) or something that is manufactured to help you turn out a better finished product (Fab B or whatever) then that is no different than these POS athletes using steriods! It's cheating whether it's in the rules or not! What gratification do you get when you win a ribbon or serve your product when you say, "here's the BBQ that I injected with some manufactured crap and then set my Guru to cook it for me?? That's the bottom line IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom