Old 07-19-2005, 07:39 PM   #21
Master of All

Ok then.
MMmmmmm. Cherry?

Weber Smokey Joe Gold ?

Weber Grill Decency Agent # KTL9352
Old 07-19-2005, 07:56 PM   #22
Master of All

I love the red color that cherry gives...not to mention the flavor....mild yet, very distinctive.

Weber Smokey Joe Gold ?

Weber Grill Decency Agent # KTL9352
Old 07-19-2005, 10:18 PM   #23
Graduate of BBQ Central

Bryan s Could you pass long the apple honey brine recipe? I like to know where I could get some cherry wood at?

Thanks,
Missing LInk.

http://img42.exs.cx/img42/3756/licen...2659_10965.jpg
Old 07-20-2005, 07:10 AM   #24
Graduate of BBQ Central

bryan thanks.

http://img42.exs.cx/img42/3756/licen...2659_10965.jpg
Old 07-20-2005, 07:31 AM   #25
Official BBQ Central Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine
This is how we do ours. We start with a frozen turkey, don't brine it as it will be packed in a solution. The percentage of solution varies from brand to brand.

We use the pop-up timers that come with the bird, and if it doesn't have one, we keep extras. We have done anywhere from 12-40 turkeys a year (at thanksgiving) for the last 8-10 years and have never had a pop-up timer to fail.

We cook them at about 240° 4-5 hours (when the timer pops).

We rub them with oil at the start and about half way though. They come out like this.

You know, it's really nice to have everything I say to be contradicted, by the same person ALL THE TIME! Ya'll should listen to the advice Raine is giving. Obviously they buy "special" turkey's with the foolproof timers that never fail and their turkeys don't need to be brined and come out so juicy you need a bib to eat them, guaranteed EVERYTIME. Next thing you know, they'll have turkeys that cook themselves. "I've never had a pop up timer that's worked on a "smoked" turkey" and have heard the same from many other folks who smoke turkeys on a regular occassion. But hey, I don't cook nearly as many "perfect" turkeys as Raine does. I'm just some schmuck cooking on a backyard cooker and they have a big pit, trophys, bragging rights etc., so it's obvious who you should be taking advice from.

I tried to word my post as to not to start a huge discussion/disagreement about this again and stated in my post everything was my opinion. But some people, just need to let everyone know how good they think they are. Whatever. Don't brine your turkeys and you should rely on the pop-up timer, they work guaranteed!
Old 07-20-2005, 03:12 PM   #26
BBQ Central Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Wolfe
You know, it's really nice to have everything I say to be contradicted, by the same person ALL THE TIME! Ya'll should listen to the advice Raine is giving. Obviously they buy "special" turkey's with the foolproof timers that never fail and their turkeys don't need to be brined and come out so juicy you need a bib to eat them, guaranteed EVERYTIME. Next thing you know, they'll have turkeys that cook themselves. "I've never had a pop up timer that's worked on a "smoked" turkey" and have heard the same from many other folks who smoke turkeys on a regular occassion. But hey, I don't cook nearly as many "perfect" turkeys as Raine does. I'm just some schmuck cooking on a backyard cooker and they have a big pit, trophys, bragging rights etc., so it's obvious who you should be taking advice from.

I tried to word my post as to not to start a huge discussion/disagreement about this again and stated in my post everything was my opinion. But some people, just need to let everyone know how good they think they are. Whatever. Don't brine your turkeys and you should rely on the pop-up timer, they work guaranteed!

obviously there is more than one way to cook a turkey ... no different than foil/no foil ... lump/briquettes ... sand/water

I prefer fresh turkeys and I said so, but I don't take exception to Raine stating she uses frozen ...

Darren asked for advice on turkeys, nothing wrong with seeing different, even conflicting methods ... he can make up his own mind how he wants to do things.

Let's all play nice with the other kids now :ghug:
Old 07-20-2005, 03:34 PM   #27

[quote=Shawn White]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Larry Wolfe":33ymkx43

obviously there is more than one way to cook a turkey ... no different than foil/no foil ... lump/briquettes ... sand/water

I prefer fresh turkeys and I said so, but I don't take exception to Raine stating she uses frozen ...

Darren asked for advice on turkeys, nothing wrong with seeing different, even conflicting methods ... he can make up his own mind how he wants to do things.

Let's all play nice with the other kids now :ghug:[/quote:33ymkx43]

Shawn, this has happened on several occassions before, not just now. I don't have a problem with things being done differently as a matter of fact I love listening and trying other peoples way of doing things to see if I can improve what I am doing. The problem I have is a certain individual contradicting my posts on a routine basis. For someone to specifically nit pick specific things I stated I prefer over and over, time and time again is simply ridiculous. I told Darren as I did someone else awhile back the way I do turkeys and this happened then too. My way is not the right way nor is it the wrong way, it's my way. So for another member of this board to come out and say it's not necessary to do this or that, or to say something works when I said it didn't is just ludicrous. When I make a post it is my OPINION, so why would someone deliberatly come out and say I am wrong??????????????????????????????
Old 07-21-2005, 09:41 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Z
Heck. last year everyone was totally drunk by time it came off!
Susan, Now thats the sign of a successful party !!!!
Old 07-21-2005, 05:55 PM   #29
BBQ Central Pro

Here's an interesting idea. The Smo-Fried Turkey

I take an unpumped turkey and brine it over night in O'Riley's Brine. Cover it with Tony's seasoning and let it sit overnight. Smoke with something mild like pecan for about 3 or 4 hours at around 275- 300. At 120-140* remove it from the smoker and drop it in 365* peanut oil to finish it off. The best of both worlds. Last year I did about 200 of them at Thanksgiving. Tasty stuff Maynard! Watch the drop, there is plenty of juice comming out of the bird. For an interesting twists, inject with equal portions of hot sauce, white grape juice and butter. Change the hot sauce to change the profile. Jalapeno is pretty good. If you inject there is no need to brine. If you buy a pumped turkey there is no need to brine. It already is. If you do cut back on the salt. You can however, inject a previously pumped turkey with no apparent side effects.

Good Q!

Jack
Old 07-21-2005, 06:21 PM   #30
BBQ Central Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine
I've Wendy and those guys talk about a smo-fried turkey, but have never eaten one.

Hey Jack, think it might work for Anything Butt?
Tried it. Bombed worse than the great hot dog fiasco at the Joe. I really didn't think they were next to last place.

Jack

Closed Thread