Smoking a Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bryan s Could you pass long the apple honey brine recipe? I like to know where I could get some cherry wood at?

Thanks,
Missing LInk.

Raine said:
This is how we do ours. We start with a frozen turkey, don't brine it as it will be packed in a solution. The percentage of solution varies from brand to brand.

We use the pop-up timers that come with the bird, and if it doesn't have one, we keep extras. We have done anywhere from 12-40 turkeys a year (at thanksgiving) for the last 8-10 years and have never had a pop-up timer to fail.

We cook them at about 240° 4-5 hours (when the timer pops).

We rub them with oil at the start and about half way though. They come out like this.

turkeys.jpg

You know, it's really nice to have everything I say to be contradicted, by the same person ALL THE TIME! Ya'll should listen to the advice Raine is giving. Obviously they buy "special" turkey's with the foolproof timers that never fail and their turkeys don't need to be brined and come out so juicy you need a bib to eat them, guaranteed EVERYTIME. Next thing you know, they'll have turkeys that cook themselves. "I've never had a pop up timer that's worked on a "smoked" turkey" and have heard the same from many other folks who smoke turkeys on a regular occassion. But hey, I don't cook nearly as many "perfect" turkeys as Raine does. I'm just some schmuck cooking on a backyard cooker and they have a big pit, trophys, bragging rights etc., so it's obvious who you should be taking advice from.

I tried to word my post as to not to start a huge discussion/disagreement about this again and stated in my post everything was my opinion. But some people, just need to let everyone know how good they think they are. Whatever. Don't brine your turkeys and you should rely on the pop-up timer, they work guaranteed!

Larry Wolfe said:
You know, it's really nice to have everything I say to be contradicted, by the same person ALL THE TIME! Ya'll should listen to the advice Raine is giving. Obviously they buy "special" turkey's with the foolproof timers that never fail and their turkeys don't need to be brined and come out so juicy you need a bib to eat them, guaranteed EVERYTIME. Next thing you know, they'll have turkeys that cook themselves. "I've never had a pop up timer that's worked on a "smoked" turkey" and have heard the same from many other folks who smoke turkeys on a regular occassion. But hey, I don't cook nearly as many "perfect" turkeys as Raine does. I'm just some schmuck cooking on a backyard cooker and they have a big pit, trophys, bragging rights etc., so it's obvious who you should be taking advice from.

I tried to word my post as to not to start a huge discussion/disagreement about this again and stated in my post everything was my opinion. But some people, just need to let everyone know how good they think they are. Whatever. Don't brine your turkeys and you should rely on the pop-up timer, they work guaranteed!

obviously there is more than one way to cook a turkey ... no different than foil/no foil ... lump/briquettes ... sand/water

I prefer fresh turkeys and I said so, but I don't take exception to Raine stating she uses frozen ...

Darren asked for advice on turkeys, nothing wrong with seeing different, even conflicting methods ... he can make up his own mind how he wants to do things.

Let's all play nice with the other kids now :ghug:

Shawn White said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":33ymkx43]

obviously there is more than one way to cook a turkey ... no different than foil/no foil ... lump/briquettes ... sand/water

I prefer fresh turkeys and I said so, but I don't take exception to Raine stating she uses frozen ...

Darren asked for advice on turkeys, nothing wrong with seeing different, even conflicting methods ... he can make up his own mind how he wants to do things.

Let's all play nice with the other kids now :ghug:[/quote:33ymkx43]

Shawn, this has happened on several occassions before, not just now. I don't have a problem with things being done differently as a matter of fact I love listening and trying other peoples way of doing things to see if I can improve what I am doing. The problem I have is a certain individual contradicting my posts on a routine basis. For someone to specifically nit pick specific things I stated I prefer over and over, time and time again is simply ridiculous. I told Darren as I did someone else awhile back the way I do turkeys and this happened then too. My way is not the right way nor is it the wrong way, it's my way. So for another member of this board to come out and say it's not necessary to do this or that, or to say something works when I said it didn't is just ludicrous. When I make a post it is my OPINION, so why would someone deliberatly come out and say I am wrong??????????????????????????????

Here's an interesting idea. :idea: The Smo-Fried Turkey :idea:

I take an unpumped turkey and brine it over night in O'Riley's Brine. Cover it with Tony's seasoning and let it sit overnight. Smoke with something mild like pecan for about 3 or 4 hours at around 275- 300. At 120-140* remove it from the smoker and drop it in 365* peanut oil to finish it off. The best of both worlds. Last year I did about 200 of them at Thanksgiving. Tasty stuff Maynard! Watch the drop, there is plenty of juice comming out of the bird. For an interesting twists, inject with equal portions of hot sauce, white grape juice and butter. Change the hot sauce to change the profile. Jalapeno is pretty good. If you inject there is no need to brine. If you buy a pumped turkey there is no need to brine. It already is. If you do cut back on the salt. You can however, inject a previously pumped turkey with no apparent side effects.

Good Q!

Jack

Raine said:
I've Wendy and those guys talk about a smo-fried turkey, but have never eaten one.

Hey Jack, think it might work for Anything Butt?

Tried it. Bombed worse than the great hot dog fiasco at the Joe. I really didn't think they were next to last place.

Jack

Raine said:
This is how we do ours. We start with a frozen turkey, don't brine it as it will be packed in a solution. The percentage of solution varies from brand to brand.

We use the pop-up timers that come with the bird, and if it doesn't have one, we keep extras. We have done anywhere from 12-40 turkeys a year (at thanksgiving) for the last 8-10 years and have never had a pop-up timer to fail.

We cook them at about 240° 4-5 hours (when the timer pops).

We rub them with oil at the start and about half way though. They come out like this.

turkeys.jpg

Raine,

You start with a frozen turkey??? I thought that was a big no-no! Is there a reason you do it that way? Do you put any rub on them or just oil?

1044 said:
Larry Wolfe said:
... So for another member of this board to come out and say it's not necessary to do this or that, or to say something works when I said it didn't is just ludicrous. When I make a post it is my OPINION, so why would someone deliberatly come out and say I am wrong??????????????????????????????

First off, chill, dude. You are telling what works for you, Raine is telling what works for her. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I've cooked a couple of turkeys that have the pop ups. I also used my Polders. The pop ups popped at the temp they were set for. YMMV.

[quote="Larry Wolfe":2t5pano9]...to say something works when I said it didn't is just ludicrous.

Does this mean if you say something doesn't work...it doesn't...for anyone? Or does this mean it doesn't work for you? My oldest son used to say, "XYZ can't be done," after trying to do something I asked him to do, and failing therein. He would stand me down that it could not be done. I would reply, "Don't say it can't be done. Say 'I can't do it'. I've done it, it has been done."

He finally learned not to make that statement.

But, to answer your question, no, it is not ludicrous if she has done it. It is ludicrous of you to think your experience and word is infallible.

It would appear, from evidence rather than opinion, Raine is successful in doing what you say can't be done.
As you say, why would you say something can't be done when someone is doing it, over and over and over again?[/quote:2t5pano9]

Okay GENIUS.........show me where I said Raines method couldn't be done and/or didn't work??? I also said from my experiences with the pop up timers was that they didn't work when smoking turkeys and they were also set to go off at 180* which AGAIN IMO, it over done for a turkey breast AGAIN IF YOU DON'T SEE IT NOW IT IS MY OPINION!!! GET IT??? I never once knocked what Raine was doing, did I? I never ONCE said her method did not work!! DID I?? SHOW ME WHERE I SAID HER METHOD WAS WRONG OR DIDN'T WORK????? The only thing I said I had a problem with was everytime I posted something about brining, she would say it's not necessary and that's her opinion. I made the mistake with a bad choice of words saying "you must brine" one time, when I should've have said "I prefer to brine". But again, I never said her's or anyone elses method was wrong or it couldn't be done. So next time before you make a post and try to make me look stupid, read the post and understand what you are reading. One more thing, don't tell me to chill, okay? I'm not some punk from up the street, I'm a grown man, get it?

Think I've found a place for my turkey bones!

What's all this hubbub about brining or not brining?
Throw the damn turkey in some hot oil and forget it.
FRIED TURKEY IS BETTER! :eek: I said it, and I don't care who disagrees.
And I not taking it back either. So there. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

actually I like both just fine... make mine brined :happyd:

Bryan S said:
Ok here's my take on it. Buy a pumped bird that has a pop up timer and brine the Hell out of it. Fill the cavity up with some smoke wood i'm thinking cherry and then put some rub on the outside of the bird. Wrap it up really good in some foil and drop it in some 375 degree peanut oil. You wind up with a double pumped, smoked, foiled, deep fried bird. All bases covered and everyone can go home happy. :eep:

:faint:

Raine said:
And what I replied back was the way we do it, our opinion, what has been successful for us. Where did I ever say you were wrong, or our way was the only way? Why did you get your panties all in a wad because I responded to any post about brining?

If someone makes a post about something, I am most likely gonna respond to it, with what we have experienced, good or bad. Our expirence is often the opposite of other folks. You share yours and we share ours, just because they differ, why get your dander up? If you can post your opinions, successes, failures, experiences, then why can't someone else?

I'm not gonna lie about hat works for us or our experiences just to contradict somebody.

:ack: OMG where did that come from??? Nobody called you a liar and I didn't disagree with your methods. You said in one of my original posts "that brining a frozen bird was a waste of time because it was already brined". So who is arguing with someones method??? YOU! EVERYTIME I mentioned brining you said it wasn't necessary stating the birds were already brined, EVERYTIME. I GOT YOUR POINT/OPINION! Geez, you win! You've had the last word, I'm done! Add this to your wall of trophies!

Raine said:
Raine,

You start with a frozen turkey??? I thought that was a big no-no! Is there a reason you do it that way? Do you put any rub on them or just oil?

Yep, Brian prefers to cook a frozen turkey vs a fresh one. Most frozen turkeys come packed in a solution(brine) anywhere from about 2% to 12%. Just check the label for the amount.

We rub a little oil on them at the start, and then again about half way through.

Pop-up timers come in different colors for different temps.

http://www.volkenterprises.com/products/popuptimerspecs.html

I guess I should clarify my question. Do you thaw out the turkey before you put it on the smoker? Or is it still frozen when you place it on the smoker?

A solution added or brined bird are basicly the same thing. The major difference is the brined bird you decide what other spices will be added. Having a producer adding a salt water solution or doing it your self will give you similar results when it comes to moisture retention.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom