SMOKIN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SOIL Q KING

Assistant Cook
Recently was able to procure some apple wood from a local orchard that completed spring trimming. How long should I dry it before I use in my Char-Griller with SFB.
Thanking you in advance,
Hal

I would start chunking some in there now and see how it smells. I have used some real fresh cut stuff and it was wonderful as it was. If for some reason it smells stinky wait 30 days and try it again. I accidentally kilt one with a weed wacker one day and burned it that night. Now if that some kinda offset dont use the apple for the entire heat source..just toss in a little on the charcoal base fire. That apple is too special to be wasting it to heat up the atmosphere. Get Algore riled up too. You heard of that old global warming thang no doubt. Guess that is whut is causing all the blizzards in exotic locations.

bigwheel

Was that Spring of last year? If so, it should be fine by now? I usually wait a min of 6 months. But you won't be using sticks in the CG so chunk it up and it will dry even faster!

Apple should "check" or crack on the edges as a good indication. Mine always has. I throw the cut up sections into a milk crate and put it in the attic in the summer. A few weeks up there and it's ready to go.

GREAT IDEA!!! A dry kiln in my own attic!!! You all guys fart smellers uhhh smart fellows!!
THANKS,
Hal

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom