Smoked wings experiment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big dude

Sous Chef
I appologize for the length of this, but it is afterall a technical paper about a scientific experiment. :) I smoked wings the other day and decided to test them five different ways:
1. Smoked an hour,dipped in wing sauce and cooked in a pan in the smoker for 30 minutes on each side and eaten.
2. Same as above then frozen, thawed, and reheated in a toaster oven.
3. Smoked an hour, then frozen, thawed, reheated on the grill then tossed in wing sauce.
4. Smoked an hour, then frozen, thawed, reheated on the grill while basting once per side with wing sauce.
5. Same as 4 except used Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce.
The reheating was 20 minutes and turned 3 times with sauces added on the last two.
Conclusions - # 1 was best as it was smoked hot wings with bite thru skin. I liked #3 next for hot wings, but # 2 was very good - just not hot wingy enough. 5 was good if it's the BBQ sauce flavor you're looking for. 4 was almost like eating no sauce at all - the wing sauce (Anchor Bar)did not hold up very well to reheating and is better applied after reheating.
Hopefully this is not too confusing and the bottom line is if you like wings and you like smoked chicken, you can't help but love these.

Just grill the wings. While they are on the grill, get some hot wing sauce (I use Texas Pete's hot wing sauce) and add 1 part wing sauce and 1 part butter in a saucepan and heat on your stove. When the wings are done add them to a bowl and pour the wing sauce mixture over them and let sit for about 5 mins. Thats it! This will be the best wings ever!!

Mike
www.SmokinRub.com

Back
Top Bottom