Smoked Turkey Legs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tannehill Kid

Head Chef
A couple of guys got to talking about turkey legs this past week so I called the meat market and ordered a case of turkey legs. Case weighs 30 pounds and there were only 13 legs in the case. Those things were huge. Injected them with creole butter and added some poultry rub on them too. Smoked them at 275-300 til they got to internal temp of 170 and pulled. Meat had a real good taste but really hard to eat. Wife was a sleep when I started cooking so I went ahead a made some brownie points with her and made beakfast.

Case of turkey legs

Legs injected with creole butter and poultry rub added

Breakfast for my wife

Legs done and ready to eat after church

So.... who got the breakfast plate with four strips of bacon. :LOL: Good looking chow. Deal around here is that who ever cooks the bacon gets the most. ;) Got to test it to be sure it's right. :LOL:

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
So.... who got the breakfast plate with four strips of bacon. :LOL: Good looking chow. Deal around here is that who ever cooks the bacon gets the most. ;) Got to test it to be sure it's right. :LOL:
Duh. :LOL: You snooze you loose. She didn't even know there was four pieces on my plate :LOL:

Rag said:
Your wife eats 2 breakfasts? :LOL:
Why were the legs hard to eat? Meat dry?
Meat was good and moist. Had like large tendons in the meat and had to pull the meat away form that. Other than that they were fine. Talking about the two breakfast I'm going to tell her you said she was a fat ass. HEHEHEHE

Tannehill Kid said:
Had like large tendons in the meat and had to pull the meat away form that.
That's what makes turkey legs hard to carve. I "carve" 'em mostly with my fingers.

Ya know, chicken farmers should be encouraged to market really big chicken drumsticks. :idea: A little selective breeding and then let the chickens mature a little more than the usual 6-8 weeks ...

--John

They also do well with a brine beforehand!

Not a lot you can do about the tendons, 'sept peel them through your fingers as Unity says.

Back
Top Bottom