Smoked Turkey Breast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nakedpigbbq

Senior Cook
Gonna be smokin' some turkey breasts for Thanksgiving. This will be a first. Any suggestions as to temp, times, preparation? Just trying to get a head start. :?:

Also... anybody smoking turkey legs?

Before the end of this month, there will be more threads on turkey than you can shake a stick at. ;)

I think spatcocking is on my list.

I come out with a purty good turkey breastes one time. Just soaked in eyetalian dressing overnight...shot it up with FAB C and gave it a rub with Headcountry Regular and stuck it in the heat till it register around 160. Best to buy the turkey legs already smoked.

bigwheel

nakedpigbbq said:
Gonna be smokin' some turkey breasts for Thanksgiving. This will be a first. Any suggestions as to temp, times, preparation? Just trying to get a head start. :?:

Also... anybody smoking turkey legs?

If it's a fresh turkey breast either brine or inject with either a marinade or a brine. If it's a self basting breast you can cook as is or inject with a marinade.

I like to cook my turkeys breasts in the 245º-260º range until the breast hits 160º, tent with foil and then rest for a about an hour before slicing. Smoked turkey is much better the next day after sitting in the fridge overnight.

Legs I cook the same way and pull when they hit 170º.

BTW, I'm smoking a fresh turkey breast tomorrow and will be injecting the brine.

5.gif
14.gif

will give all this a good study. I wanted to do the breasts so that I could do several on my smoker. I wanted to have enough for family and friends and thought about throwin some chicken on with it.

I have done whole turkeys, but wanted to cut down on cook time and thought that would be an easy way to do it. Maybe I will do some chicken legs instead of turkey legs if they are too much trouble... for the kids....

Thanks guys for the welcome back.......got a new job and just been busy lately......I missed you all! :oops:

nakedpigbbq said:
will give all this a good study. I wanted to do the breasts so that I could do several on my smoker. I wanted to have enough for family and friends and thought about throwin some chicken on with it.

I have done whole turkeys, but wanted to cut down on cook time and thought that would be an easy way to do it. Maybe I will do some chicken legs instead of turkey legs if they are too much trouble... for the kids....

Yeah if you're doing them for the kids, I'd go with chicken legs too.

Back
Top Bottom