Smoked Meat Loaf Twinkie . . . Yum!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey Lew

Head Chef
Found an interesting meat loaf recipe on-line and made some modifications for this Twinkie style loaf. It's still pretty close to the original so my changes probably didn't change things much. The loaf was a killer!

Recipe I used:
2 lbs. 85/15 ground beef
1 lb. Jimmy Dean Hot Sausage meat (original called for regular)
2 eggs
1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs (original called for crushed wheat crackers)
1/3 cup (1/2 worchestire, 1/2 soy sauce for saltiness)
1 tsp. ground mustard
1 small onion diced
4 cloves garlic (original called for 1 clove)
1/2 tsp. Berbere spice (this wasn't part of the original recipe)
Feta Cheese (this is the Twinkie filling)
Pepper
Center cut bacon (I used apple cured bacon)

Saute the onion, garlic and Berbere spice in pan with hot oil until onions are soft and starting to brown. Berbere is an Ethiopian spice that adds a layer of richness to the mix (this procedure was not part of the original recipe).

Mix all ingredients together except feta cheese and bacon. Make two loafs from mix and stack one loaf on top of the other with feta sandwiched between. Drape bacon over top of stacked loaf and smoke at 350 degree grange until a 165 degree internal temp. Don't probe the center of the loaf to get your temperature reading. That's were the Twinkie filling is.

Near the end of the cook, I covered the loaf with some SBR BBQ sauce. It was to dark and everyone was hungry by the time the loaf was ready so I don't have a plated shot. The last photo is the remaining half of the loaf I shot this morning. This was a really good tasting loaf. I think it stacks up well against the ever popular Griffloaf, which I've cooked a few times myself.

Twinkie halves ready for assembly.

Bacon wrapped Twinkie loaf ready to smoke. Used some apple wood for smoke.

Moved loaf to upper rack in pit to take advantage of hotter temperatures. Added some chicken for lunches.

Remaining half of loaf the next morning.

Good idea...sounds great!

If it were me ... I'd reserve some meat, roll it, poke in two fingers (one in the center and one halfway to the end) and make them meet, then another add another hole and make that meet the center. Put the cheese in and then plug the holes with the extra meat (dipped in egg) ... and lightly roll again to make it solid. .... just thinking here.

..ya know...like a real Twinkie?
Hmm... mashed potato... Hmmmm.

Back
Top Bottom