Smoked ham?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Puff said:
Finney said:
Great picture! =D>
But what's it got to do with 'smoked' ham? :)
The ham went in the oven. :-( This is what I smoked. :D I already had smokin' on my mind, I had to do somthin'! :) I was worried about the ham being to dry. It was a dry piece of crap anyways, I got it for my x-mas bonus from work. :)
Sorry Puff... I missed where you had posted the links to the picture. I thought Joker was just posting a picture of his kid in your topic. He has a little blond also. Couldn't figure out why he did it here. Now that I see it was your cook, it all makes sense.
I like chicken legs done the way you did them. I forget what the proper name for that is.
Good looking kid and 'cook'.

I can't understand some of your guys thinking sometimes.
Your pit is basically an oven, be it charcoal or wood fired. When you buy a ham ,spiral sliced or not, don't you heat it up in the oven? How is your pit going to dry it out any more than your oven if you are heating at the same temp and time range?
And yes, the smoke will add more flavor.

Puff said:
Woodman said:
What the hell are those two black logs on the right side of the plate? :eek: :eek: :ack: :ack: :ack: You know, you're not supposed to serve the wood don't you?
It's not wood :!: It's called a fatty. I learned it from another site. It's a roll sausage, rubbed, and smoked! I'll tell ya' what, they are awesome! :grin: I used a regular, & a maple flavor (bob evans) :grin: :grin:

Sorry Puff, I wouldn't ordinarily be so hard on a newbie! I mistakenley thought Joker posted the photo! I actually never saw a fattie (from that angle anyway!)

Finney said:
Puff said:
Finney said:
Great picture! =D>
The ham went in the oven. :-( This is what I smoked. :D I already had smokin' on my mind, I had to do somthin'! :) I was worried about the ham being to dry. It was a dry piece of crap anyways, I got it for my x-mas bonus from work. :)
Sorry Puff... I missed where you had posted the links to the picture. I thought Joker was just posting a picture of his kid in your topic. He has a little blond also. Couldn't figure out why he did it here. Now that I see it was your cook, it all makes sense.
I like chicken legs done the way you did them. I forget what the proper name for that is.
Links are on page 1, There called chicken lollipops. :!:

Puff said:
Finney said:
Puff said:
Finney said:
Great picture! =D>
No, I meant the REAL name for cooking them pulled inside out. Larry gave it to me. (above)

Finney said:
Puff said:
Finney said:
Puff said:
Finney said:
Great picture! =D>
No, I meant the REAL name for cooking them pulled inside out. Larry gave it to me. (above)
All i did was cut the skin & pulled them down, & wrapped a piece of bacon around it. And stuck a toothpick in it. If thats what frenching is, then i stand corrected =D> Thanks!

wdroller said:
Finney said:
I can't understand some of your guys thinking sometimes.
Your pit is basically an oven, be it charcoal or wood fired. When you buy a ham ,spiral sliced or not, don't you heat it up in the oven? How is your pit going to dry it out any more than your oven if you are heating at the same temp and time range?
And yes, the smoke will add more flavor.

The pit is probably more like a chimney than it is like an oven. That is, there is a tremendous amount of air flow through a pit, as with a chimney, but not through an oven.

Moisture leaving the meat will escape through the chimney of the pit.
That's crazy talk. LOL
While some pits do have more air moving through them than others do (that's why some pits cook faster at the same temp), the comparison to a chimney is way off base. Even your oven at home is vented and hot air comes out of the vent (so does mosture). The higher you have the heat turned up the more hot air comes out of the vent. My commercial range has a full length vent across the back of the unit that is really moving some air. Even if you are getting that much air moving through you pit... you basically have convection heating which essentially just speeds up the cooking process, not necessarily drying the food out unless you cook it too long or at too high a temp setting.

You guys are making things way too complicated. This just shows me why I switched to making BBQ in microwaves! No fuss no muss!

Larry Wolfe said:
You guys are making things way too complicated. This just shows me why I switched to making BBQ in microwaves! No fuss no muss!

Larry, do you foil in the microwave? I think would really speed up the process. #-o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom