Smoked fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puff1

Chef Extraordinaire
I watched Alton Brown smoke fish in a cardboard box last night, i've seen the episode before.
My wife loves seafood, I do not eat seafood,if I do....well you don't want to know :eek:
I've grilled fish before, but i've never smoked it.
I'd like to hear any :idea: 's you guys have 8-[
Salmon seems to be the favorite. (griiled)
I know when I grill fish it stinks up my grill for 2 weeks :eek:
I would like to know what the best fish to smoke is.
How long, what kind of wood,marinades,etc.
I won't be using a cardboard box :!:

deputynrc said:
Salmon!! smoked with a combo of Alder & oak

I coat with a 50/50 mixture of honey & Pure Maple syrup sprinkle with rub (any kind, I used to use Emeril's Essence) smoke untill it flakes with a fork!!
How long,and what temp?
Marinade or no 8-[

deputynrc said:
You can marinade, but I don't. I take it strait from refer and put my honey/syrup mix then rub. Smoke @225 degrees untill it flakes with a fork. I don't time it, I just reach in with a fork and test it. if ya over cook, it is salmon jerky!

We live about 2 hours from the coast and fresh salmon. Last season, we caught some and they were on the grill with in 1 hour. YUM!! We used the left overs and made a BBQ'ed salmon dip for crackers!! =P~ =P~

Okay now you said dip :!:
What do you put in that? 8-[

I've taken salmon fillets and brined them in a simple brine solution with black peppercorns and brown sugar for about 4 hrs or so. Then fire up the WSM and smoke them for about 2-3 hrs depending on thixkness. I use applewood and my Father-in-law loves it...I'm not a fish guy! :)

deputynrc said:
Puff,

I think the dip had the following but you may have to adjust the amounts of sour cream & mayo.

Left over BBQ'ed salmon shredded/chopped
Fresh dill chopped up (about 2-3 TBS)
1 clove of garlic minced
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
Lemon juice
Salt, Fresh ground pepper to taste

Very important, always use FRESH dill, not dried.
There may have been a small amount of diced shallots, but I can't remember. This was real good on wheat thin crackers. I even made a sammy with it the next day.!!

Thanks Dep. :!: =D>

If I put fish in the smoker, is that the only thing I can cook?
Will the taste of the fish get into the other food? 8-[

You won't have any problems with everything smelling like fish. It will probably all smell like smoke. The times I have done salmon it was in there alone, but all I could smell during the cook and after when I was done was smoke.

Nick Prochilo said:
You won't have any problems with everything smelling like fish. It will probably all smell like smoke. The times I have done salmon it was in there alone, but all I could smell during the cook and after when I was done was smoke.
Thanks Nick, I know when I grill that smelly stuff for the wife the grill stinks for a long time :eek:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom