smoked duck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Griff

Master Chef
I'm knocking off at work tomorrow at noon. I have to be at the house to meet an energy audit guy. I installed an new boiler/hot water tank system. The state has an energy conservation program this year and I should get an $8,500 rebate from the state after the auditor checks me off. So I'm thinking home at noon, I want smoked duck for Thanksgiving eve dinner. These are domestic ducks, not wild ducks. We have to skin wild ducks because our season is in September and early October and they are full of pin feathers making skinning, not plucking the way to go. I bought couple 4.5 pound frozen domestic ducks.

I realize that I am going to totally jinx this cook by posting the before shots prior to taking the finished shots but here they are. I'll probably have a huge duck fat fire as a result but here are the ducks currently residing in the frig. They came with the plastic pop out thingies. More shots tomorrow.
[attachment=0:3v5c5e1u]duck.JPG[/attachment:3v5c5e1u]

Griff after smoking reserve the carcases and make a stock out of it....then if there is any duck left over...a smoked duck and sausage gumbo would be the way to go. Good luck and watch for that flash fire....we want pics one way or another so don't have to much Gin before the pics.

Looks good Griff. I saw somebody cooking tame ducks on TV one time. Seems like they cut little slits in the breastes so to let some of the grease drain out. Them things tend to be fat fat I think.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
I looked up Emeril's recipe for duck and he seems to poke holes in the skin with a fork as opposed to cutting slits in it.

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/food-h ... -duck.html

bigwheel

My recipe says the same thing about poking holes in the skin with a fork. A lot of the recipes go with a basting sauce, usually something with OJ in it. But I think I'm going with just salt and pepper.

I had to peak to check temps. Pic is at one hour forty minutes at 300*.

[attachment=0:crmopavz]duck2 (Medium).JPG[/attachment:crmopavz]

I know, a lot of people like duck medium rare, but I like it more medium to medium well. And there's so much fat in domestic ones that they would be hard to dry out. At least that's my theory. Mind it is still in the smoker.

ronbeaux50 said:
Did them ducks win a merit badge or something??? :)

Them ducks had a pop-up thingie, that never popped even though I cooked them to medium to med-well. Here's some plated shots.
[attachment=2:3m5pvjmh]duck3 (Medium).JPG[/attachment:3m5pvjmh]
[attachment=1:3m5pvjmh]duck4 (Medium).JPG[/attachment:3m5pvjmh]
[attachment=0:3m5pvjmh]duck5 (Medium).JPG[/attachment:3m5pvjmh]

I really like the flavor of duck, be it wild or farm raised, and this was good. But I didn't get the crispy skin that it so important with duck. Next time I'll try the rotisserie on the gasser, or a glaze. Or maybe next time do it a really high temp in the Green Egg, that'll probably get a duck grease fire for sure. My duck recipe is a work in progress.

Back
Top Bottom