Smoked chickens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vermin999

Executive Chef
My Wife wanted some chicken for salads and stuff, store had whole chickens limit 3 on sale so I picked up three and threw them on the WSM. No seasoning, a Big chucnk of apple and some small chunks of peach for smoke. They have been on for about 4 hours and have about another 45 minutes or so till done.

Looks excellent. Try breastes down next time.

Why???

Processed the chicken. My Wife wanted my to try and keep the breasts whole and slice them so she could add them to a salad. Gonna use the bones for some stock and giving the skin to the dogs so nothing wasted on these three birds

Looks good. Breast down allows the backbone to baste the breast as opposed to vice versa. Gives a much juicer breast. Also dont spill the juice which accumulates inside the cavity.

Looks good. Breast down allows the backbone to baste the breast as opposed to vice versa. Gives a much juicer breast. Also dont spill the juice which accumulates inside the cavity.

There was still plenty of fat under the skin where the breast meat was.

Never got ahold of a whole chicken or turkey which was better breast up than down..unless being pretty is the main criteria.

Since I cook everything in foil pans, and I cook multiple chickens at a time and mix all the meat for serving. I cook 2 to a tray, one up, one down. Breast side down does give you the juicer white meat, but in a pan, you get no real smoke flavor. A mix of the 2 works for me pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom